Why add MMO or 2-stroke oil to gas ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people so fond of adding MMO or 2 cycle oil to their gas?
How is this beneficial?
Also comment on the other popular ones like seafoam.

I don't add anything to my gas. Is there something to gain?

For a UCL, smoother idle in older cars, and a better ring seal in older cars.

No proof it does anything. Has a cult following from a guy named "Sarg". My UC gets lubed from my crankcase oil, and my injectors get cleaned from the ethanol in the gas. They haven't needed any "lube" for the past ten years, so I think they are designed to work OK with just gas.

MMO is used not only to clean and lube the engine. A lot of people feel mmo does wonders for the whole fuel system by cleaning and lubing the fuel pump.

Its cheap enough to throw a bit in every once in a while.

I use it. It does moderate fuel system cleaning and lubes the upper cylinders and fuel pump. Don't use it all the time, but it's cheap enough to throw in here and there.,

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Why are so many people so fond of adding MMO or 2 cycle oil to their gas?
How is this beneficial?
Also comment on the other popular ones like seafoam.

I don't add anything to my gas. Is there something to gain?
go to the link...www.marvelmysteryoil.com or go to the search section here, there is lots of info, we all need to use the search engine here more often, that includes me.

I use MMO in my fuel for its UCL properties and increased compression due to the improved and tighter ring seal. The increased compression helps my truck run better and have more power on the butt-dyno. It is a mild injector cleaner so it is not too harsh to add at every fuel fill. It keeps my spark plugs clean as a whistle, there is just a very slight tan color on them when I do my tune-up. MMO also lubricates the fuel pump and helps it work better and last longer.

MMO will help to offset the unwanted side effects of ethanol in today's gasoline. MMO helps to restore the lubricity in gas that is displaced by the use of enthanol. I get a nice smooth, quiet, even idle with MMO and a very welcome side effect is I get about 1.5 more MPG with MMO in every fuel fill.

Another good thing about MMO is the price. It costs $3.77 per quart at Walmart, another dollar or so at parts stores. I did see it priced at $3.89 per quart at O'Reilly's in Atlanta when I went home for Thanksgiving last week. I had never been to an O'Reilly's before. You only need to add 4 ounces to every 10 gallons of fuel so at that price MMO costs much less per tank of gas than the other injector/fuel system cleaners.

The trick with MMO is to use it consistently and add it at every fuel fill to get the most benefit from it. The best way to use it is to start with a good fuel system cleaner like Red Line SL-1 or Regane, run that tank down close to empty and then begin your MMO regimen. If your fuel system is really dirty, you might want to pay a shop and have a good induction service like BG or Everwear done first. You can sometimes find coupons online or in the Sunday paper at tire stores for fuel system cleaning service. You want to get the fuel system clean with a good strong fuel system cleaner first, then keep it clean with regular use of MMO and the use a good PEA-based total fuel system cleaner like Red Line or Regane as often as you wish.

MMO is a great product, it has been around for almost 90 years. The American Military has been using it for decades. I would say to try it and see how it does for you.

Nice write up Jimmy, the problem is a lot of people have their minds made up that MMO or a 2 stroke oil offers no value, or their engines are perfect and will never need anything special, other than Ethanol gas and oil. All that's fine and dandy, and my suggestion would be that they continue what they're doing, but not dump on a product they know little or nothing about. A product that has tons of positive postings on the WWW and close to a 90 year history. JMO But to each his own!

I have been using TCW-3 oil in my 4 stroke engines since about 1998. From my personal experience I have found that the oil keeps parts in the fuel system from corroding (getting a white fuzzy film). I think it also helps lube the fuel pump and other components. I do not know if it helps keep the intakes or combustion chamber clean, but I know it doesn't show significant signs of damage.

Last edited:
I started 2C before I heard of Sarge. Been doing it a long time.

Now I mix one 12oz Techron in with 20oz of 2C and use that, 4oz/10g.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Interesting home brew. Cleaning from the PEA cleaner and better lubrication/ring seating from the TC-W3. I kinda like it as MMO, being unavailable largely in Canada, is a bit more expensive than your locally available is here. I may try this eventually. I'm a fan of all three as cleaners and UCLs (just never combined them in the same tank of fuel before).

-Spyder

I am an MMO user. LOVE the smell. Mostly in my mowers and blowers. Much less carb teardowns and generally less drama getting them started. Quiets down loud fuel pumps too. Any day now, I am gonna add some MMO to thin out the 20w 50 oil in my old BMW.. I have fooled myself into believing it works, YMMV

I use MMO in the Maxima, about 6 oz per tank, which is usually right on the 2 oz/5 gal recommendation. I have been doing this for the last month. It seems to make the engine idle smoother. Mileage hasn't changed that I can tell, but now that it's in the 20s and 30s at night, mileage hasn't decreased either, so maybe that's a plus.

In my Beetle, I've started adding TCW-3 after reading a monster thread about it on the Dodge Cummins forum. 10oz per tank (about 15 gallons) and, again, it has quieted and smoothed the engine enough that I have stopped dosing with Power Service and gone to straight TCW-3.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I use MMO in the Maxima, about 6 oz per tank, which is usually right on the 2 oz/5 gal recommendation. I have been doing this for the last month. It seems to make the engine idle smoother. Mileage hasn't changed that I can tell, but now that it's in the 20s and 30s at night, mileage hasn't decreased either, so maybe that's a plus.

In my Beetle, I've started adding TCW-3 after reading a monster thread about it on the Dodge Cummins forum. 10oz per tank (about 15 gallons) and, again, it has quieted and smoothed the engine enough that I have stopped dosing with Power Service and gone to straight TCW-3.

OT: IMO it's still a good idea to use an appropriate diesel fuel additive even if adding 2-stroke oil to the fuel. (for cetane boost, anti-gel [winter of course], fuel system cleaning, small amounts of water)

I actualy heard them on a car talk show tell a gentleman that was complaining about poor gas milelage to try two stroke oil in his gas at one ounce per gallon. They said they get alot of feeder call back and it is increasing fuel milage-alot. That is alot higher dose than most of us use. I have dumped a whole quart of MMO in my Dodge Hemi to a 32 gallon tank and it ran fine. MMO is a safe injector cleaner and is good upper lube. I have used it in my engine oil too without any bad results, although I use less than their reccomended qt, I use 8 ounces. I will endorse MMO.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Somebody else said it was 20oz Techron to 12oz of TC-W3

- Vikas

Jimmy has a good post concerning MMO.
Fuel pump lubrication is very real, esp with ethanol in the gas.
There is some cleaning, and some 'keep clean' maintenance.
A bit of valve guide lube along with rings is small, but I believe it is in the right direction.
Also some valve extra sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back