Michelin Energy MXV8 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to share my experience with Michelin energy tires
I drive 2005 Audi A4 tfsi fronttrak(FWD)with michelin energy mxv8 215/55R16(standard rim) on all 4 tires, it was very bad, less grip than Dunlop sp 6000 OEM tires,
when accel hard it will skid and the "esp" light will flashing all the time, and it can't handle any fast corner
the good thing is it last forever 40.000km with still +-60%++ remaining and low noise
I decided to replace those tires with Goodyear eagle GSD3
it was good overall, but it didn't last long.

and now iam looking for chaning my tires, any idea what brand and type of tire that fits good for this FWD sedan?
Thanks and regards
ALbert

This is sacrilegious. Everyone on this board knows that there is no tire other than Michelin. How could anyone say that any Michelin tire is no good.

These are very similar to the OEM tires on my '99 Accord, as well as the second set I put on it.
I found grip in all conditions to be acceptable, and we do get significant snowfalls here.
Decent tires, that stayed in balance, and lasted 115K over two sets.
I would buy them again, although the car is on Primcys now.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
This is sacrilegious. Everyone on this board knows that there is no tire other than Michelin. How could anyone say that any Michelin tire is no good.

I can. Michelins are over rated and I've hated every set that ever came on my cars. The latest set being Energys on my new CTS with the FE2 suspension. I couldn't wait to get rid of them. Replaced them at 25k miles.

Michelin Energy tires are made to last forever and deliver good gas mileage. The were never intended to be a performance tire IMO.

+1. I'll never have another set of Michelins. You could try the Goodyear Comfort Tread Tourings. Stiff riding tire but not as stiff as the Michelins. More quiet than the Michelin Destiny/Harmony,but not as quiet as the Primacy. Better gas mileage than the Michelins. 80,000 mile warranty.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I can. Michelins are over rated and I've hated every set that ever came on my cars. The latest set being Energys on my new CTS with the FE2 suspension. I couldn't wait to get rid of them. Replaced them at 25k miles.

sigh... Yeah, sarcasm doesn't translate to well over the 'net. I'm really no fan of Michelins. I'm not saying they are not a good tire, but it is almost as if the opinion here at times is that you bash Michelins at your own risk.

You can take any given brand out there and find 100 people who will "never own that brand again". I pretty much exclusively buy Michelin or BFGoodrich tires, but I wouldn't doubt for a minute that there are 100 people out there who wouldn't own 'em. We've all got our own experiences and preferences in tires. I've owned a lot of brands, but keep returning to Michelin because they deliver what I want in a tire. They won't deliver what everyone wants, though, so the freedom of choice we have is a wonderful thing.

I have the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 on my Camry, and in the P215/60R16 size, I think it's a decent tire. It's a good match for the car: smooth, quiet, comfortable. I'd buy them again, but they're awfully expensive. I may probably get the Primacy MXV4 or even the Pilot Exalto A/S, when it comes time for replacement. Based on wear so far, I expect 40,000 miles out of them. The Primacys would do better.

Agree. All each of us can really conclude, is how the tire performed on our unique ride,drive,route,etc., circumstance.

Yes, Since it's an imported tire and the pirce is vvvery high at USD130 each, compared to Bridgestone Turanza er90(USD88 each) I would never buy Michelin again.

Ya know, I don't even see the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 in your size (215/55R16). Tire Rack doesn't show it, nor does the Michelin website. Are you sure of the tire model and size?

I'm also not sure what a Bridgestone Turanza ER90 is. Are you sure of that tire's model name?

That's inaccurate. The characteristics of OE tires can be attributed to the decisions made by the vehicle engineers, not the tire manufacturers.

I disagree, I think the characteristics of OE tires are attributed to primarily the purchasing dept followed by the sales dept, the engineers likely get to say what size and speed rating goes on the car and that is about it, with maybe a veto power if anything purchasing and marketing is too out of line.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

That's inaccurate. The characteristics of OE tires can be attributed to the decisions made by the vehicle engineers, not the tire manufacturers.

You are correct.

I am just basing my experiences on Michelins as recieved on new vehicles. Just like any product, eacher maker has great products and less than great products. I prefer Goodyear tires, but realize that they also produce some poor models (RT/S comes to mind).

I have yet to experience a set of "good" OE tires from the factory. They never seem to be worth it to me, regardless off the tire brand.

That being said I have had poor luck with Goodyear tires (Aquatread on a 1997 V8 TBird wore out fast, TripleTread on a Subaru Outback were loud and nowhere near the tread life rating) although they have handled well. Kelly and Uniroyal's did well on my old 1986 Thunderbird, but didn't last long. Nor did I really expect them to do so...cheap 14 inch tires served their purpose.

Current ride came with Bridgestone Potenza G009's on it...one of the worst tires I have had yet as far as handling goes. Decent wet and dry, but amazingly bad in the snow and slush. Replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4 and am so far impressed. If they last 50k or so, they will have been worth their initial price.

+1
37.gif
I have never had good service out of Michelin tires way over rated IMO.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I have yet to experience a set of "good" OE tires from the factory. They never seem to be worth it to me, regardless off the tire brand.

I tend to agree with you! My wife's 2006 Hyundai Azera came with Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires in 235/55R17 (replaced with Michelin HydroEdge--seem to be MUCH higher quality) and my 2008 Acadia came with Goodyear Fortera HL Edition in 255/65R18 (only tire for this car). Neither of them managed more than 30K miles and neither car was driven hard. I had a 2003 Tahoe that had General tires that did not last either, but a set of Yokohama's lasted 60K miles. If memory serves every set of OEMs has been cruddy, but the replacements last much longer. Perhaps the replacement are all higher quality tires, but nonetheless the OEMs are terrible.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Ya know, I don't even see the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 in your size (215/55R16). Tire Rack doesn't show it, nor does the Michelin website. Are you sure of the tire model and size?

I'm also not sure what a Bridgestone Turanza ER90 is. Are you sure of that tire's model name?

Albertchristian is in Indonesia. It's on his profile under his name.

Thus... go to the Michelin Indonesia site....

http://www.michelin.co.id/tyre/patterndetail/PassengerCarMPV/EnergyMXV8
20100706_1358090.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back