Washer and Dryer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Front loaders use alot less water and are easier on clothes. If you get a newer machine buy a surge plug and plug the washer into it. This will protect the electronics from spikes and surges. Good luck

last night, I put back together the washer. I ran one cycle on cleaning mode and it worked for the whole 60 minutes like it estimated. When I plugged back in the washer, there were alot of sparks. I told my wife the same thing about using a surge plug for it. I think since most of these washers are electronic instead of the old turn dials that were replaced. Most folks probably don't put a surge protector on it.

I've had the opposite luck with front loaders, the tumbling is less hard on our clothes compared to the back and forth twisting of a top loader.
The surge idea I got from the sears repairman years ago. He said that using one is like cheap insurance for front loaders with numerous circuit boards inside. Been using one ever since. I use these on the garage door openers and one on the washer.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3159514&numProdsPerPage=60

I'd not buy a used FL washer because people who sell them (i.e. lost their houses) would probably cheap out and use non HE detergent in it and damage it.

TL washer and Dryer on the other hand can be a good deal if you buy used on craigslist. I've searched around before when my parents are trying to sell houses without fridge, and got a 4 year old black side by side unit for only $250 and a 10 year old white side by side unit for only $80 delivered from a guy trying to sell everything before his house is foreclosed and a non profit that is remodeling the office.

Last edited:
Well here we sit.....no new washer and dryer....delivery is December 16!!

Hone Despot already charged the card naturally.

I guess they sold them at that low price a little too fast. Seems the wait is 90 days if you buy now. I called them and breach slapped them, wife did the same. Didn't even make me feel good like the old days. No one else has the deal.

What economic slow down???

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
I've had the opposite luck with front loaders, the tumbling is less hard on our clothes compared to the back and forth twisting of a top loader.

My wife will not buy a FL. She says the clothes don't get as clean. I tend th think that FL will be harder on clothes bc they have less water and hence more friction on cloth fibbers.

We have our Maytag for 25+ years and still going strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well here we sit.....no new washer and dryer....delivery is December 16!!

Hone Despot already charged the card naturally.

I guess they sold them at that low price a little too fast. Seems the wait is 90 days if you buy now. I called them and breach slapped them, wife did the same. Didn't even make me feel good like the old days. No one else has the deal.

What economic slow down???

my mother in law was telling me last week that their local home depot/lowes pulled their black friday ad of their low price washer/dryer sale. people were buying them up in droves. she brought it up because I was possibly buying another washer/dryer and eyeing the sale.

I've owned my Electrolux WaveTouch washer and dryer for about 3 months now. Have to say we're happy with how the clothes get clean and dried. We got them slightly used and repaired on a screaming deal at the local Sears Hardware. Delivered once, then the washer's door seal leaked, and the original purchaser returned both of them because she didn't trust them. Both machines work very well after repairs to the washer, knock on wood.

Price wise we got a steal. Does us no good without the Washer and Dryer!!!

It's just that there are only so many ways I can wear dirty underwear......I think I will just go buy a couple new packs....
shocked.gif
crazy2.gif
45.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Kenmore

I bought a pair two years ago,not one problem been happy with them.

No more Kenmore.

2 years is nothing. A dryer should last at LEAST ten years. Ours didn't. Hunkajunk.

Originally Posted By: daman
Kenmore

I bought a pair two years ago,not one problem been happy with them.

No more Kenmore.

2 years is nothing. A dryer should last at LEAST ten years. Ours didn't. Hunkajunk.

Boy your welcome pabs...
smirk.gif

oh our last one lasted almost 20! thats why i went that route again,but what ever....

Maybe you missed this:

Quote:
dead 9.5 yo Kenmore gas dryer that I have fixed at least 5 times

I have electric,more reliable..

Probably true in general. But the savings with gas (here at least) are substantial for a family.

It's almost ironic. First gas dryer we bought when we got married worked great, sold when we bought an electric only house. Electric dryer we bought for that house worked fine. Next house had gas, but only lines in that portion of the house went to the gas stove and gas co claimed the 1/2" black iron pipe didn't have the capacity for both, so we kept the electric dryer. Next house had both and wife said out with the electric dryer - that's when we bought the Kenmore gas. After the 2nd year it started having issues continued when we moved to this house, which only had electric, but part of the deal was to run a gas line to the washroom....dryer kept right on taking a dump....that along with two bad Kenmore refrigerators sorta has soured me. Natural reaction.

Growing up dad had gas and was problematic right along i remember we switched to electricity and from there on out till this moment I've had great luck with that type dryer.

our last Ken was hand me down from the SIL it was achent(sp?) then, when it keep falling off the track i got [censored] and tossed it out hence out new one we have now.

if you know teenage girls THEY MAKE LAUNDRY! haha, yea you say two years only but you know how many loads in that two years? lots!!

We had a kenmore FL washer and dryer that didn't last 7 years before the heating element burned out in the dryer (yes the ductwork is clean we clean it annually everywhere we live) and the washer had a bad motor, and the bearings in the drum were destroyed, the entire thing shook inside the outer drum and there was TONS of play. Spin cycle sounded like the thing was going to fly out of the thing. Never again.... Happy so far with the new samsung units.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
We had a kenmore FL washer and dryer that didn't last 7 years before the heating element burned out in the dryer (yes the ductwork is clean we clean it annually everywhere we live) and the washer had a bad motor, and the bearings in the drum were destroyed, the entire thing shook inside the outer drum and there was TONS of play. Spin cycle sounded like the thing was going to fly out of the thing. Never again.... Happy so far with the new samsung units.

Boy those sure are allot of problems on one unit to experience all at one time,amazing!

Goodluck with the LG.

Kenmore top load is nearing its 19th year of service and I'm just waiting for its last load and then I'll compare the Koreans (LG & Samsung) to the Germans (Miele) for our next Washer/Dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back