3M DIY Complete Fuel System Tune-Up Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any comments?

31BP7ym+GfL._SL250_.jpg

Maybe good for DI.

Features & Benefits
The 3M™ DIY Fuel System Tune Up Kit is the first kit to offer a professional formula product with a patented protected delivery method that allows Do-It-Yourselfers the opportunity to perform a professional fuel system cleaning at home. This kit includes: Intake System Cleaner (PN 08954), Complete Fuel System Cleaner (PN 08813) and Throttle Plate Cleaner (PN 08185). Because no car is 100% efficient, carbon, resins and varnishes will build up on critical engine components, reducing fuel economy, power and acceleration. This kit helps to maximize a vehicle’s fuel economy, power, and performance. This simple maintenance every 10,000 miles can save you money at the pump.

* Helps to restore power and save on gas mileage
* As easy to perform as an oil change
* Requires a few simple hand-tools
* Detailed instructional DVD included with kit

Part Number: 08963
Weight: 2.58 lbs
Type: Fuel System Cleaner
Amount Of Fuel Treated (Gal): 16
Flash Point (Deg): -150
Kit Contents: Intake System Cleaner - 08954, Complete Fuel System Cleaner – 08813 and Throttle Plate Cleaner 08185
Oxygen Sensor Safe: Yes
Pour Point (Deg): 65
Purpose: Clean fuel system, improve engine performance
Recommended Automotive Application: Fuel System
Standards: US EPA registered per regulation 40 CFR Part 79
Type: 2 aerosol cans, 1 plastic bottle
Rebate details: Purchase the 3M Do-It-Yourself Fuel Cleaning Kit Receive $10 Back after mail-in rebate.

Sorry about the potentially non-sponsor link, but iirc AZ is now a sponsor...?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...fier=55717_0_0_

I like the professional ones that screw onto the fuel rail, I think they are the most effective.

I mentioned it in this thread here.

Bottom line, I was very pleased with the results and I'll use it again. I don't really have easy access to run something through the fuel rail, and I see some benefits to running it in front the the TB. If I had a DI car, I'd seriously consider doing this every 15K. I'm doing it every other year, which is about 40-45K.

I'll also say if you have an AZ near you, that seems to be a pretty decent price. They sell the intake cleaner separately for much cheaper (about $12.00 a can), but it requires a special tool, which is about $60. If I had a DI car, I actually think I'd go that route, since it would probably end up being cheaper.

So, it's got a complete fuel system cleaner you put in the gas tank. A spray throttle body cleaner used to clean the throttle plate. The main difference here being the intake system cleaner which goes where?

I have/use the first two, though not dedicated like the 3M kit.

Couldn't one just purchase the intake cleaner and get similar results?

If purchased alone, I see above a special tool (separate) is required for the intake cleaner, why? $60
confused2.gif

The intake cleaner is pressurized, and it's distributed 2 ways. The one in the kit comes with a spray nozzle and a small diameter hose. You bend the hose, undo the hose going to the TB, insert the small diameter hose and re-connect the big hose going to the TB. Then, start the car and depress the button, which has a lock on it. It empties the can over 10 minutes or so, and you rev the car @1,500 rpms or so while it empties.

The other option is to buy the can w/o the nozzle, and use the tool. It punctures the can and contains the hose. It's a little cheaper, but you have to buy the tool. The 3M intake cleaner isn't cheap, retail is $24.00 a can and the cheapest I've seen is $12.00/can in a 6 pack. So you could buy the stuff separately, but if you're doing it infrequently it's pretty much a wash.

It's a lot of money for a can of intake cleaner, and I don't know how it compared to BG or some of the others. I know the Motorcraft is similarly priced, but the tool is more expensive. Generally, I'm a fan of 3M's stuff, so I thought it was a safe bet.

I paid about the same for that kit. I have not used it though. The kit has uniformly good reviews over the net. This is the cheapest price that I have seen for it in years. Go for it and let us know how it works for you.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Good explanation, sounds as though if one has a DI engine, this kit may be the way to go. The intake cleaner then is designed and applied in a manner to clean/prevent the carbon build up on the valves of DI engines?

I expect as DI engines become more popular, similar competing products will become available, reducing the cost.

I finally used the intake system cleaner to unclog the EGR passageway. It actually did work and melted enough carbon inside the passageway to fix the EGR code.

So I have now objective proof that it does clean at least some form of carbon.

In a ported system, the average distance to get max buildup is around 15k miles, then comes in balance when the excess get dislodged and shortly after get replenished again. What would be the interval for DI engines getting the max buildup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back