Which tires are succeptible to flat-spotting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JDD
Continentals flat spot worse than any other tire I have ever had.

Having owned two different sets of Contis (CSC2 on my old A4, and ContiProContact on wife's C300), my experience was just the opposite. They did not flatspot at all. I guess it just depends on the specific tire model.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Haven't had a tire flat spot since the old bias ply tire days.

Not all drivers would notice on all cars. It depends on personal sensitivity, level of observation, and other factors like whether the car has lightweight wheels and/or all-aluminum suspension.

The same is true of tire balancing. If you believe my local Active Green&Ross, it seems that "most drivers" are OK with only one weight applied in "coarse" mode on a mediocre balancing machine. Others (I'm included in this group) need two-plane weights applied precisely using a roadforce balancing machine to be happy and vibration-free.

I wasn't meaning to imply they all Conti's were more susceptible to flat spotting. My anecdotal experience with the DWS showed them to flat spot on my vehicle.

I may have had minor flat spotting on a tire in the past that I wasn't aware of, or not apparent/noteworthy to me.
21.gif
For me, I would not put the DWS in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back