Added Lubegard Bio-tech; testing MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just added 12 ounces of Biotech to the Corolla. My main reason for testing is to see if my mpg improves. I added it to Formula Shell 5w30. I'll also provide any anecdotal experiences as well("smooth", "quiet").

My last three OCI mpg's have been 35.5/34.5/37.2 respectively. I will be comparing against the 37.2 though as that OCI is the same conditions as this one will be(no a/c use). There is one difference though; which is the oils used. Schaeffer's 5w30 w/ the last OCI and Shell 5w30 w/ this OCI.

I also added 6 ounces Lubegard Red to the transmission and did a drain/fill w/ Maxlife ATF.

Doing this because I'm curious and because there isn't much on this additive. I will be able to update soon since I drive an average of 1,000 miles/weekly.

I for one am very interested in your observations! I've used both products and was happy with them. The Red ATF additive is very good, and has just about eliminated the slight lag I have going into reverse in my Aerostar. I drained and refilled the pan just this past weekend and added it a day later. I noticed the improvement shortly after adding it.

Why did you only add 6 ounces, they call for one ounce per qt of ATF? A typical transmissions holds 9 or more qts of ATF total fill.

I added 6 ounces because I added 5 ounces before the drain/fills. So, it should be close to 1oz/qt.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I added 6 ounces because I added 5 ounces before the drain/fills. So, it should be close to 1oz/qt.

what is the trans oil capacity?

Just added 12 ounces of Biotech to the Corolla. My main reason for testing is to see if my mpg improves. I added it to Formula Shell 5w30. I'll also provide any anecdotal experiences as well("smooth", "quiet").

My last three OCI mpg's have been 35.5/34.5/37.2 respectively. I will be comparing against the 37.2 though as that OCI is the same conditions as this one will be(no a/c use). There is one difference though; which is the oils used. Schaeffer's 5w30 w/ the last OCI and Shell 5w30 w/ this OCI.

I also added 6 ounces Lubegard Red to the transmission and did a drain/fill w/ Maxlife ATF.

Doing this because I'm curious and because there isn't much on this additive. I will be able to update soon since I drive an average of 1,000 miles/weekly.

The real benifit of the Biotech engine treatment is it's anti-oxidation charateristics and it's friction reduction.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
whats in biotech engine treatment?

Some info from their site: If you go to their site the go into the LXE additive in more detail. HTH

---------------------------------------------------------------

LUBEGARD® ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT contains Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology, the lubrication system of the future. Specifically formulated to minimize friction and wear, also to keep the oil cooler in today’s more complicated engines.

All modern engine oils contain a highly refined petroleum or synthetic base oil which is fortified with additives to meet motor oil performance specifications. Even so, dated specifications may not represent the level of performance needed by a new engine design. A new oil may not contain sufficient additives such as ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compounds even though it passes all the tests. Furthermore, these protective compounds are depleted when the oil is in service.

The solution to this protection gap is LUBEGARD ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT which supplements and enhances the effectiveness of the additive system already present in the oil. LUBEGARD replaces the depleted or insufficient additives and adds LXE® wear protectors and friction reducers which are unavailable in any oil. Minimum friction means maximum mileage; minimum wear means maximum service. In addition, LUBEGARD increases the thermal and oxidative stability of motor oil to prevent creation of sludge and deposits.

There is a need for improved oil additives for protection and mileage in view of the rapid technological changes in modern engine design. LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
whats in biotech engine treatment?

Some info from their site: If you go to their site the go into the LXE additive in more detail. HTH

---------------------------------------------------------------

LUBEGARD® ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT contains Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology, the lubrication system of the future. Specifically formulated to minimize friction and wear, also to keep the oil cooler in today’s more complicated engines.

All modern engine oils contain a highly refined petroleum or synthetic base oil which is fortified with additives to meet motor oil performance specifications. Even so, dated specifications may not represent the level of performance needed by a new engine design. A new oil may not contain sufficient additives such as ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compounds even though it passes all the tests. Furthermore, these protective compounds are depleted when the oil is in service.

The solution to this protection gap is LUBEGARD ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT which supplements and enhances the effectiveness of the additive system already present in the oil. LUBEGARD replaces the depleted or insufficient additives and adds LXE® wear protectors and friction reducers which are unavailable in any oil. Minimum friction means maximum mileage; minimum wear means maximum service. In addition, LUBEGARD increases the thermal and oxidative stability of motor oil to prevent creation of sludge and deposits.

There is a need for improved oil additives for protection and mileage in view of the rapid technological changes in modern engine design. LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)
go to www.lubegard.com lots to read there

not what i meant. i meant any voa on this?

Not that I know of, however I will be doing a UOA on this mix
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Loobed

what is the trans oil capacity?

~9qts. It may be under 1oz/qt, but close. I may add 1-2 more ounces just because.

BTW, I drove 200 miles yesterday and I can tell you it definately is very smooth. I noticed there is less vibration at idle(from steering wheel), than there was with the Schaeffer's. There is also less audible noise from the engine at idle.

Any reports on the transmission? My Aerostar has responded well to it in the transmission.

Any reports on the transmission? My Aerostar has responded well to it in the transmission.

The Maxlife/LG combo has smoothed the shifts for sure, but I still don't like the overdrive shift. I think it's just the tuning of the trans. However, I am very picky about this. Plus, my fiancees mom has an '05 Corolla with the same combo that shifts great into ALL gears. Again, I just think the tuning is different.

I hear you some cars have an odd feeling shifting into OD. It could be a combo of the shift and the TC locking up.

What I don't like about the transmission in my 08 Liberty is it delays shifting into OD in very cold weather. I realize a lot of cars are set up that way.

I was also fooling around with my digital thermometer and noticed on the exact same trip the tranny fluid in my Aerostar averages about 20*F less than the Jeep, under similar conditions and ambient temps. The capacity is about the same IIRC, but I'll have to look into that to be certain.

I hear you some cars have an odd feeling shifting into OD. It could be a combo of the shift and the TC locking up.

What I don't like about the transmission in my 08 Liberty is it delays shifting into OD in very cold weather. I realize a lot of cars are set up that way.

I was also fooling around with my digital thermometer and noticed on the exact same trip the tranny fluid in my Aerostar averages about 20*F less than the Jeep, under similar conditions and ambient temps. The capacity is about the same IIRC, but I'll have to look into that to be certain.

I hear you, our Fusion is the same way. When it's cold it shifts a bit differently, much better when warmed up.

I was pleased with the way the Aerostar is shifting with the LG red in it. I have 192,000 miles on that transmission and the only thing I've done to it was service it, and replace a vacuum modulator. It had a hard life of heavy loads and Metro NY traffic. I was told they don't last that long, I hope to prove otherwise!

I was pleased with the way the Aerostar is shifting with the LG red in it. I have 192,000 miles on that transmission and the only thing I've done to it was service it, and replace a vacuum modulator. It had a hard life of heavy loads and Metro NY traffic. I was told they don't last that long, I hope to prove otherwise!
lubegard red in my dodge has been a life saver, I read all the reviews and mechanical stuff on their web site, and it does what it says it will do, my shifts came sooner, when i pull it down into another gear, i dont feel it much, and it will save ur tranny from dying young.ps, I do a pan drop only now,,every 50k miles.I learned the hard way on that, and I added an oversized tranny cooler on the front of my radiator, i dont use the radiator to cool my tranny any more.Heat kills trannys..

Last edited:
Just a small update, it's been 1,250 miles so far. To this point my mpg has been 44.5. This is quite high which is why I want to keep recording data to see how it goes.

One tank so far included a freak 52.6mpg!? The highest I've gotten before was 46.3. I'll keep recording and see what happens.

As I mentioned before though, I'm impressed with how quiet and smooth the engine is. The car just seems to be running really well.

BTW, my last OCI mpg was 37.15, not 37.2 as I thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back