Winter fuel system cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say it's time to run a fuel system cleaner but it's getting down to or below freezing at night. Anyone change how low you let the tank get before adding more fuel?

I've read a few posts about concerns with condensation forming in the tank if the level gets too low during cold months.

Half wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to double the cleaner and just add more fuel before it gets down to 1/4th tank... Heck a lot of times I add it once it gets below one half tank on the truck. It's only driven a few times a week at the most.

Throughout the year, I use a fuel system cleaner.

What with todays gasoline that is suppose to be formulated to prevent gas line freeze up, I still throw in some Heet during these colder months.
As well as keeping a full tank of gas.

Does anyone else believe in using Drygas or Heet?

I use the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner year round. I've never used Drygas or Heat in my 4 Runner and I'm in cold Coney Island. The Chevron seems to do the trick along with a 1/2 full tank of gas on those cold nights.

I read wih the addition of Ethanol to gas and winter blended fuels condensation and water in the fuel isn't as much of a problem as it was years ago. If you are really concerned about water get a product like Water-Zorb (I'm pretty sure that's the name). They sell it at Boating Supply Stores like West Marine, and it does a bang up job removing water or moisture from a gas tank, much better than a dry gas.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
Say it's time to run a fuel system cleaner but it's getting down to or below freezing at night. Anyone change how low you let the tank get before adding more fuel?

I've read a few posts about concerns with condensation forming in the tank if the level gets too low during cold months.

Half wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to double the cleaner and just add more fuel before it gets down to 1/4th tank... Heck a lot of times I add it once it gets below one half tank on the truck. It's only driven a few times a week at the most.

I always add a fuel product at 1/4 or less and then fill it up with gas. I don't think it would be a good idea to add 2x the recommended amount. Isoheet red is one of my favorites to run. It's cheap and effective for [possible] water absorption.

Do the boaters run their equipment in freezing snow? I don't think boaters worry about gas line freezing. Are boating supply stores open during the winter months?

I was hoping to get more replies on what everyone does during the winter when running a cleaner though...

I guess with ethanol now being almost unavoidable, one plus side to it is that it helps to keep condensation from forming in the gas tank?

Also if running a cleaner like Regane through there, it's supposed to get rid of water in the fuel system... So I guess during the treatment it wouldn't hurt to run it low in cold weather.

I bought a tank of 89 octane by accident last week. That will clean it up just as good as anything else mentioned in this thread
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back