10w30 or type F in loader hydraulic system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Johnson 27 loader on a John Deere 318 garden tractor. The loader was probably made in the early 1980's. The loader manual indicates to use 10w30 motor oil (MS) in the hydraulic system but also says type F ATF can be used. Currently it has some type of ATF in it (its red). What would be your recommendations, use motor oil or type F. It has a cessna hydraulic pump. It will be used in fairly cold weather in central illinois, but it also gets hot here too.

Thanks,
Bill

I would think the ATF would be better. But have nothing but a hunch to base it on.....
welcome2.gif

If you think the seals are compatible with synthetic fluids I would go with either Amsoil Super Shift Racing Transmission Fluid SAE 10W (ART), or Redline's Racing ATF (Type F) fluids.

i would use john deere hygard low vis. it works extremely well in cold weather, it replaced thier hydrostatic fluid many years ago. regular hygard would also work, but if going to be used in the cold just go with the low vis

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
i would use john deere hygard low vis. it works extremely well in cold weather, it replaced thier hydrostatic fluid many years ago. regular hygard would also work, but if going to be used in the cold just go with the low vis

+1, or any low vis generic hydraulic fluid, ISO 22 to 32.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going with the low-vis hygard. It has a visocity at 40C of 33, type F is 37 and 10w30 motor oil is around 68. I am also adding a return line filter set-up so there will be some additional restriction so the low-vis should do well.

Thanks again,
Bill

Does the loader have a filter on the high pressure side?

Adding a restriction on the low presuure side sometimes leads to cavitation.

Molakule, the only filtration in the system now is a strainer in the tank on the suction line. I am adding a 10 micron filter on the return line from the spool to the oil tank. It should not cause any cavitation. Back pressure maybe, but no cavitation. I have heard of a suction-line filter potentially causing cavitation.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back