Thinking About A New Bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping for bikes at the LBS today and the guy suggested a Specialized Tricross Sport. His reasoning was that it is more "beefy" and durable than a road bike and is more versatile. Plus, he said I may find it to be easier to get accustomed to than most road bikes due to the geometry.

I would be riding that bike to and from school in hilly terrain. I would probably pick up an used one though, as they are significantly cheaper.

Another option (and a tempting one) is a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Expert, as they are on clearance for $700 at the local shop. Although I love the hydraulic brakes, it seems to be pointless to have a mountain bike since I do not fully utilize its capabilities.

So, what do you guys think? My current bike is a 2004 Specialized HardRock Sport with a few upgrades, but I'm just itching for a new bike. The Rockhopper is a tempting an option due to the price, but something tells me that I should consider a road bike (or something of that nature) since I do not go on the trails.

I think it's terrible that the racing folks have hijacked the road bike marketplace. What you need is a road bike with the ability to accommodate wider tires and racks. But most of the road bikes in the marketplace don't offer that, with maybe a few touring bikes excepted.

Read this:
http://www.rivbike.com/article/bicycle_making/the_big_picture

Unfortunately, Rivendells are not cheap, but if you take good care of the frame, it will last you a lifetime.

If you want a cheap option, keep the bike you have now but update it with some newer components.

I have always rode mountain bikes even for street use but thats just me. I feel more stable especially with all those potholes and stuff on the street.

Have you looked into Jamis bikes. One bike I was considering getting myself is the Jamis Durango. A friend of mine has one and I rode it from street to off road and it feels just right. The way the frame is design and the overall weight felt balanced. I saw it at the Sports Basement for about $400-500 which is a very good price. At Sport Authority the Diamondback Topenga is usually advertised on sale for ~$300-$350. The Iron Horse Quantum at Sport Authority appears to be exactly the same as the Diamondback Topenga just with a different paint job.

If you ride to school and lock the bike up then I would buy a less expensive bike for commuting and leave the nice bike at home for weekend rides. Some areas in this city has a high rate of bike theft and it appears they seem to target road bikes.

I'd love to pick up an old beater Specialized Hard Rock for commuting. I've got a LeMond Reno, but I'm afraid something on it will break if I use it as a daily commuter.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'd love to pick up an old beater Specialized Hard Rock for commuting. I've got a LeMond Reno, but I'm afraid something on it will break if I use it as a daily commuter.

I have a 2004 HardRock Sport I may get rid of. PM me if you're interested in buying it.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I think it's terrible that the racing folks have hijacked the road bike marketplace. What you need is a road bike with the ability to accommodate wider tires and racks. But most of the road bikes in the marketplace don't offer that, with maybe a few touring bikes excepted.

20, 10, maybe even 5 years ago, I'd agree with your comment above. It's way off-base now. Pretty much every manufacturer out there makes a line of "comfort-oriented road bikes", or at least a few models. There are a ton of bikes out there with shorter top tubes, taller head tubes, and more reasonable gearing.

This would be a great example:

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/clubman-11/

One of the unfortunate things is that previously you couldn't get any of the real high-end frames or componentry on the more comfort-oriented geometry road bikes, but even that's changed:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.advanced.0/7316/44042/

So, if you want a road bike that's comfortable to ride, there are plenty out there. As a bike racer, I'll be the first to admit that the average racing bike isn't suitable for most users, both in terms of position or gearing.

As far as a cross bike like the Tri-Cross, I think they're great for cyclocross... The high bottom bracket just seems to make them handle weird on the road, IMO, and cantilever brakes just don't modulate like a caliper brake. Good for mud clearance, not as good for riding on the road. If you plan on riding on some trails with them, then that's a different story. They have versatility, but at a cost.

if you can get your hands on the Rockhopper 29-er, you can put 700x35 (or wider) tires on, with accompanying tubes. This is so you can run higher pressures for less rolling resistance so it won't be as taxing on you.

yes, I have a 09 Rockhopper Comp 29-er. Tried the 700x35 on the road, then bought a 10 Secteur Elite.

another option is www.bikesdirect.com for cheap bikes. If your LBS doesn't mind (and you don't mind paying), get fitted. Get some clipless pedals that use a Shimano SPD type bolt pattern (2-bolt) with some MTB shoes.

I think the cyclocross is the ultimate bike. It has all the best ergonomics and like 90% of the cruising efficiency of a road bike, and you can take it on really tough trails and offroading. Great for commuting on the streets and riding trails. This style is really catching on and there is a lot to chose from now too; so you have lots of consumer value due to the product competition.

if you could afford only one bike, go for a cross
the Specialized Crosstrail is an awesome bike
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52739&scid=1002&scname=Transport%2FFitness
fit bigger tires and you have a 29"-er but still lighter
fit smaller tires, and you almost have a road bike but still have the confidence of straight bars over the bent road-style bar

Keep the bike you got and check out the tire options,or,shop for the new bike you want,then buy it used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back