Looks like Liqui-Moly has some new products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just browsing the LM website and noticed they have some new products, or at least new packaging. I hope LM isn't becomming a Me-2 company.

Quote:

CERA TEC is a high-tech ceramic wear protection product for all motor oils. CERA TEC reduces friction and wear due to ceramic compounds that withstand extremely high chemical and thermal loads. Prevents direct metal-to-metal contact, thus increasing the engine service life. The low-friction effect reduces fuel consumption in gasoline and diesel engines. Sufficient for 5 liters of motor oil.

3721_200_100.jpg

Visco-Stabil looks like STP oil treatment
Quote:

Visco-Stabil

Reduces oil consumption. Stabilises the viscosity of the oil. For,constant oil pressure. Visco-Stable also offers outstanding protection,against loss due to mechanical shear of the engine oil under the,hardest running conditions. Prevents engine-oil thinning in the event of frequent cold starts. The,oil consumption is reduced by the improved sealing of moving engine components. For this reason, the product is specially suitable for older cars. Reduces noise from hydraulic lifters.

1017_200_100.jpg

They changed the name of the MOS2 additive. data sheet shows
Quote:
Oil Additiv

The anti-friction lubricant MoS2 forms a high load-bearing film of lubricant on all friction and sliding surfaces. This product reduces friction and guarantees energy-conserving performance for the unit. This yields the following advantages: significant savings in fuel and oil consumption, scientifically proved reduction in wear, fewer break-downs, emergency lubrication properties. Tested on catalytic converters and turbochargers.

1011_200_100.jpg

This seems interesting
Quote:
Hydro-Stößel-Additiv

Damps the noise produced by worn hydraulic lifters. Cleans valves and holes in the lifter and promotes optimum operation.

1009_200_100.jpg

I thought a "ceramic" add was coming out. Would be neat to see what a UOA gives on that...

Ceramic doesn't mean much of anything in the context which it is used, IMO. Could be a boron or silicon compound...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Who carries their products in the U.S normally?

NAPA, but they don't have everything. You can try a German auto dealer like BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, or Mercedes to see if they carry it, or you could do an internet search to see who will ship to you. I found some places online that carry everything, but you need to order about $50 to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

All have been around for years over there.I tried Ceratec a couple of year ago it's a whitish/tan liquid.I cant say it did anything noticeable but didn't cause any harm either.
It is Hexagonal boron nitride.

Visco-stabil is a new one to me and looks promising if it delivers as advertised. My 1ZZ-FE is hard on oil, sheering it fairly quickly and allowing more of the thinned oil to get past the faulty oil control rings, resulting in steady consumption increases throughout an OCI.

I don't know anything about the product beyond the quoted text though. I've used, and am a believer in LM mos2, though, just as an anti-friction AW additive that is inexpensive and easy to add to achieve the desired level of moly (I like 6-800 ppm).

Overall I like what I see from LM, but I have to add that like any company with this kind of range of product, my feeling is that not all of them are going to live up to advertised claims - it would be abnormal in the additive market if there weren't at least a couple lemons in the batch, and I take that as a given with no reflection upon the company themselves (I do not consider them a maker or marketer of snake oils). The trick is, within their product line, identifying the best from the rest. My only experience with LM is with mos2, which I will continue to add as I really like everything about this product.

Thank you for the heads up on these new products from LM. Definitely some stuff here worth looking further into.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Good point Spyder7, not every additive is going to be a star performer! The Ceramic Additive is interesting, but in speaking with actually suppliers of the raw material it is not as good as I was lead to believe. I've heard from more than one reliable source that it finds its way into the combustion chamber and collects on plugs and can cause fouling. OTOH the MoS2 has been proven time and time again, and is cheaper too.

spyder, isn't mos2 the kind of moly that falls out of suspendsion..why not just use a high moly motor oil? redline. motul, torco?..iam just curious. i don't know much about mos2.

I'm not Spyder but here is what I've learned. The MoS2 stays in suspension for a very long time. If it should fall out of suspension starting the engine gets it back in suspension quickly. Once the Mos2 has 'plated' itself there isn't much to be concerned with. It is also a cheaper alternative to the oils mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: Trav
All have been around for years over there.I tried Ceratec a couple of year ago it's a whitish/tan liquid.I cant say it did anything noticeable but didn't cause any harm either.

I use that for EXAFS analysis of materials, it is "invisible" to x-rays. It also makes very smooth surfaces slide even smoother. When I compress pellets of sample materials at very high pressures, a little BN significantly improves release characteristics.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I use that for EXAFS analysis of materials, it is "invisible" to x-rays. It also makes very smooth surfaces slide even smoother. When I compress pellets of sample materials at very high pressures, a little BN significantly improves release characteristics.

Have you heard reports of it finding its way into the combustion chamber and fouling plugs?

Shooters love Hexagonal boron nitride for coating bullets.

All have been around for years over there.

Yes, they've all been around for quite some time now. They are redoing all their labels right now, that is the only difference. That said, Hydro-Stößel-Additiv is an excellent product that has helped all the cars I've added it to.

When I think of stuff NOT to put in the engine oil, diamond dust would be high on the list but ceramic will not be too far behind!

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
spyder, isn't mos2 the kind of moly that falls out of suspendsion..why not just use a high moly motor oil? redline. motul, torco?..iam just curious. i don't know much about mos2.

Of the boutique oils you listed the only one available here is Redline: at a cost of almost $15/quart, which is $60 for an oil change. My last fill of SM PYB, which my car seems to love, cost $11.88 for 5 quarts, leaving a quart left over.

Add in that it normally burns about a quart every 1,200 miles, and we're now talking $60 for the initial Redline fill, plus another $75 for top up, or $135 total.

By contrast, over the eqivalent OCI, two jugs of PYB will cover the initial fill and top up, at a total cost of $23.76.

I'd rather spend under $30 for good SM dino juice with a little mos2 added in, than $135 on oil for a 6k OCI in a 10 year old SL rated Corolla. It doesn't need those oils. Even PYB SM is a treat for it, or when I've really splurged, the $19.88 a jug PP I stashed on sale, used on the previous oci (with mos2 added), and still have 9 unopened quarts left of (the extra special treat for it).

-Spyder

Last edited:
I tried some motor oil saver, the old prizm seems to run smoother, and is using less oil, so far. does oil saver have any moly in it? it also looks like stp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back