When should I put on snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of snow tires I had mounted to my OEM steelies and ready to go on for the winter any day now. My question is, this is my first time with snow tires and have a few questions.

1.) If I mount them tomorrow (it looks like we are below 40* from now on with rain/sleet/snow). Even if there is no snow on the ground, is it OK to drive on these tires without going through the thread like butter? For example, this weekend looks clear and I may be driving 70 or so miles this weekend all freeway. Will this be ok? If temps are at 40* or below?

2.) What guidelines should I follow with these tires? I heard don't drive over 40*F if possible, but anything else?

Appreciate your help! Just looking for some info. By the way, the tires I have are the General Altimax Arctics. Read great things about them! They look great, hope they do my xB well in the snow this year!

Originally Posted By: xBa380
1.) If I mount them tomorrow (it looks like we are below 40* from now on with rain/sleet/snow). Even if there is no snow on the ground, is it OK to drive on these tires without going through the thread like butter? For example, this weekend looks clear and I may be driving 70 or so miles this weekend all freeway. Will this be ok? If temps are at 40* or below?

Definitely OK. Most times here, the road has been cleared to salt-covered pavement. Last year, we had very little snow. I've had my snow tires for so long, I can't begin to guess how many seasons I've run them.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
2.) What guidelines should I follow with these tires? I heard don't drive over 40*F if possible, but anything else?

My general rule is when it gets nice enough for me to want to change out for my summer set, it's probably a good time to hang up the winter set.

Since they're on wheels do it when the first flakes are falling. It will give you more of a feeling of satisfaction.

Well flakes are supposed to start falling tomorrow and throughout the week. Tomorrow night they expect 1-3" by the end of the day. So I figure probably be a good thing to put them on in the morning? haha

I just did not know how bad it was to drive on them when snow is not on the ground or if there is a temp where you really should not drive on them.

Last edited:
How awful your summer tires are also comes into play.

I pay full retail for snow tires but get used summers (with lots of tread) so I "save" my snows for the heart of winter.

Of course the icing and sleet and super nasty stuff happens in December and March, the shoulder seasons where anything goes.

I'm happy to get Thanksgiving visiting out of the way on all seasons. Yes your snows will burn up on pavement, it's the price you pay. Cops and cabbies swap day-of-storms then back again.

I put mine on today. Last week got caught in a few storms and wished I had them on. The P4s are good but nothing to a dedicated winter tire.

As far as the 40 degree temps. I've had mine on in the 60s for hours and they still are fine. Fourth season with them. Light car though...

Bill

It's not ideal to use them in hot weather but don't worry about those kinds of temperatures. I did a 1500 mile road trip at about 70F on my winter tires when the tire shop had a problem getting my summer tires on time and there was no evidence of accelerated wear.

Thanks guys! They will be going on tomorrow for sure. I think its time. My tires now at Falken 912's and hear they are terrible in the snow/ice even though they are performance all-seasons. I can tell they are loosing traction with lower temps and like to skip now under accelerations and such.

I put mine on Christmas day last year. I have a 600 mile round trip coming up next week so I am holding off for now. If we get a bad storm before I leave I will put them on. Otherwise I will wait until I get back.

When does it usually start snowing in amounts that your all-seasons won't handle it? Mount them before that.

I'd put them on now.
I've had mine on for about 10 days already in akron
smile.gif

never know when you will have an icy morning and slide into a guard rail etc.

Put them on when snow that will stick to the roads is imminent. For me, that was two+ weeks ago. I've driven on my snows in 70 degree weather and they are fine, but I don't make it a habit!

Similarly, take them off when the weather looks like you've turned that corner. Last year, that was mid march for me. Other years its in April...

Just got mine put on this past Saturday, and I was kind of "looking over my shoulder" at that point. Usually here, we have had weather before now to use them. Got some light flurries here last night, missed a large winter snow event this past week in the midwest, so i would not have wanted to wait any longer. As I understand it, one of the major wearers of snow tires in runing them in higher temps approaching summer weather, so you should be fine! I know even though I am not using them "right-now" I have much more peace of mind with them back there!

I put them on this morning and I must say, these tires are much quieter than I expected! I always thought snow tires would be loud and awkward sounding, but they are *very* quiet! Much more than my Falken 912's I had on.

Very happy thus far. Now I can't wait to try them out in some snow conditions!

It seems most (all??) of the tire manufacturers and other places like The Rubber Association of Canada recommend swapping at 7 celsius (I'm guessing that's roughly 40 f, since you mention that number).

It's not just traction in snow/ice that a winter tire helps with, it's traction in cold weather when the rubber compound in an all season starts to get hard and thus lose traction with the road. Evidently, that starts to happen around 7 celsius.

Yes, 7*C is 44.6*F

The only thing I have to get used to is the soft sidewall. Quite an interesting feeling on the highways!

Yeah, except my PS2s still have better grip at freezing than my snows....
frown.gif

When you change over depends on a lot of things - exactly which tires you use as summers and winters, your usage habits (do you NEED to drive every day? How far? Do you have flexibility?), how long your trips are (will you drive into areas with changeable weather different than your home base or all local trips? Caught in un-forecast lake effect snow?), how easy it is to change your tires (15 minutes in your garage or scheduling an appointment at your tire shop) etc....

Yes, tire shops talk about 7C, but I leave my summers on as long as I can. As long as I don't get caught in a lake effect streamer or on a long trip to areas with different weather my summers are safer than my snows even down below freezing (as long as it's dry). Of course it only takes a little ice to make it all go wrong so when we get into daytime temps very close to freezing I'm usually looking at changing over just in case.

It was raining and around +11C last night and my Hakka RSis were dangerously slippery at those "high" temperatures. Either that or I drove through some kind of slippery contamination early in the trip. "Luckily" we're back to around freezing now.

Originally Posted By: rcy
It seems most (all??) of the tire manufacturers and other places like The Rubber Association of Canada recommend swapping at 7 celsius (I'm guessing that's roughly 40 f, since you mention that number).

It's not just traction in snow/ice that a winter tire helps with, it's traction in cold weather when the rubber compound in an all season starts to get hard and thus lose traction with the road. Evidently, that starts to happen around 7 celsius.

It's a very cautious recommendation. As long as the road is clean of snow and ice, all-seasons and summer tires typically still have quite a bit more traction than winter tires at temperatures below freezing.

Winters do not wear that fast unless they are run for prolonged periods at speed in really warmer temps (>60F).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back