What tool do you use to add air to your tires ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your tires are few PSI low, which tool do you have/use to add air to your tires ?

Air compressor
Portable air pump (plug to cigarette)
Go to gas station (and pay small fee)
Bicycle pump

I don't have air compressor or portable air pump, I used to go to gas station and pay 50 cents each use.

I just tried bicycle pump today, for small tire (185/65-14) each PSI needed about 5-6 pumps. I pumped all 4 tires up 2 PSI each, so I had a good little exercise and my tires have the right pressure.

I use one of those portable air compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet - I guess it's what you call "portable air pump"?

I bought it some 10 years ago from Target for about $20, and it still works.

I used to do the bike pump thing but the foot ones are so poorly made now they break in two.

Have a cigarette lighter thingamajig for the field and a massive air compressor for the standard "car care day" looking over of everything.

What, no Horrible Freight $29 Nitrogen distiller?
lol.gif

The problem with the gas station is that pressures are supposed to be set "cold". Depending on the situation, your tires could be quite warm by the time you arrive at the gas station and you will underfill your tires.

I'm very aware of where my tire pressures are set and I tune the front/rear pressures for handling characteristics. If nothing else I personally need the "cold temp" consistency regardless of whether it's the best practice or not. Others may be happy with anything that doesn't cause a blowout.

I used to use a portable 12VDC compressor with a booster pack as a power source (instead of tethering to the cigarette lighter socket). Now I just use my "shop air".

Whatever you use, get a decent pressure gauge and don't use the one built into the compressor.

Bike pump for a few PSI low. It works great on both cars.

Also got a Kobalt inflater for $20 on Black Friday. I borrowed my neighbor's, which worked so well it convinced me to get one.

Originally Posted By: casperfun

Bike pump...ur kidding right. Ouch

No kidding, for each PSI you need as little as 5-6 pumps for smaller tires, for larger tires such as 225/60-16 each PSI may need 8-10 pumps. Forty-fifty pumps is a good exercise.

Before I tried the bicycle pump, I thought about drive to a gas station and pay 50 cents to pump 2 PSI to each tire, I decided to try the bicycle pump and it works.

I usually use a bicycle floor pump if I need to add a few psi to the tires. It takes about 5 strokes to increase 1psi for most car tires. The foot pump takes about 8 pumps per psi since it is smaller.

Sometimes I use the 3 gallon compressor I have. Since I don't have a long air hose, I just fill it up then lug it out the garage to top off the tires.

I have a little pancake-tank compreaaor, which works great for inflating tires.
I also prefer to air them up cold, and using a home source of air allows you to do this.
Also, if you have a slow leak in a tire, and the tire gets dangerously low on a car you haven't driven for some time, it is handy to have a home source of compressed air.
Yes, you can inflate a tire with a bicycle pump.
I used to do this, but haven't in years.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
5 different gas stations in this town have free air, so i go to the nearest

There is not one gas station in this neck of the woods that has had free air in years.
Last year, I had to mount a donut to get the Aerostar home.
It had lived under the van for a good seven years since I had touched it.
It needed air at once, and I was a little miffed at having to pay fifty cents to get some.

Gas stations here charge 75 cents. I have a portable air pump I use for one vehicle. For the other one, I go to the tire shop and get it pumped with nitrogen (free since we got the tires there) since that is what they've had since new. Although regular air is 80% nitrogen, 100% nitrogen don't fluctuage air pressure as much with temperature changes.

I have a Sears Compressor for close to 30 years in the garage and about 50' of hose. It works great and no trips to the gas station and paying for air. With the compressor I can inflate the tires cold the way they're supposed to be inflated, not after a drive to the gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back