What is the thickest Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
I've used Penrite 25-70 before.

shocked.gif
For what?

And in the USA?

Knew someone put Straight-50 in their big engine sports car before. Engine ran super smooth, and yes this is Summer.

Maybe this is why i like Thick oil?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Ive seen Straight SAE60 in Valvoline VR1.

What is THAT used for?

Before I switched to Amsoil, I was using 60wt VR1 in my Shovelhead.

I don't know if it is made anymore but Kendall Nitro 70 was the thickest I have ever seen. Designed for old Harley s and nitro burning drag cars. I believe it is now sold under the Brad Penn label.

Dave

Last edited:
IIRC, when I looked under the hood of my friend's M5, it had a sticker specing 10W60.
I guess you could always go to 90wt gear oil if you like it thick
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mpvue
IIRC, when I looked under the hood of my friend's M5, it had a sticker specing 10W60.
I guess you could always go to 90wt gear oil if you like it thick
smile.gif

90wt gear oil is about a 40-50wt motor oil.

Straight-70 weight is the thickest motor oil grade I've ever heard of.

Even though a 25W-70 or 40W-70 and a straight-70 are the same at operating temperature; a straight-70 would be thicker at lower temps, and therefore I think it wins as "The Thickest Motor Oil" you can get.....

For fun, I would LOVE to get my hands on some 25W-70 or 40W-70 and do a short run during the hottest part of the summer, just to see how the car would run. Penright does sell oils in Canada, and I think these two oils are offered....hmmm....

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Straight-70 weight is the thickest motor oil grade I've ever heard of.

Even though a 25W-70 or 40W-70 and a straight-70 are the same at operating temperature; a straight-70 would be thicker at lower temps, and therefore I think it wins as "The Thickest Motor Oil" you can get.....

For fun, I would LOVE to get my hands on some 25W-70 or 40W-70 and do a short run during the hottest part of the summer, just to see how the car would run. Penright does sell oils in Canada, and I think these two oils are offered....hmmm....

:p

Im tempted to put that 40W-70 in in July out here (or August!!!) When it is a nice consistent steamy humid 90 degrees and better.

Im only slightly scared at this?

One thing is for sure.. it makes 20W-50 - even the Valvoline stuff - look like GC.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, here is another question.. will an old 10W-40 engine SURVIVE 10W-40? (Think old, old Monster V8 fro, a time of real engines that have big huge blocks and MASSIVE Displacement.. 400ci or better.)

I thought if you put Lucas in it (Straight 80-wt, looks like pancake syrup?) it would also be almost that thick.

Hmmmmmmmm..............

Originally Posted By: ALB
"It had alot of hang time when pouring it cold."

Big Cahuna, you crack me up!
laugh.gif

I now would like to see the scoring on the dismount.
thumbsup2.gif

images

Big Cahuna this is you..

SetWidth400-VanVanVans.com-ff-tSplit-ctFFFFF2-cFF4D17-nSURF-rtrue-bgSurfWaveSunset.png

addguy, some years ago, I ran 25W-70 through winter just to prove it wouldn't blow up.

40W-70 won't blow anything up, but I wouldn't run it in your winter.

Oh, I know if run through the summer it wouldn't blow anything up - I'm just curious if the engine would run different, having had a life of GF 5W-30's.......

Going from straight 30 to 25W-70 made it noticeably harder to crank in winter, and cost me 10% of my fuel economy, with noticeably less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back