Gun Case Christmas Present

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with lubricants, but I'm hoping you guys can help me with it anyway. My partner was the executor of a friends estate, include in the estate were a Nissan truck (see my other posts) and a very old riffle. The riffle, while we are not exactly sure, is more than 200 years old. It dates to before the Revolution. I would like to get a nice wooden display case for it. The riffle is more than 4 feet long. I'd like a darker wood with a glass display. I'm willing to entertain other ideas also, any input is welcome! Thank you in advance. I might be able to make something like this, but working out in the garage work space after October, I try and avoid. COLD!!

Last edited:
More infomation on markings, manufacturer, maybe a picture? The rifle may be worth nothing, or it could be worth a few thousand. I'm not saying I'm the person to provide that info, but whoever that person is will need more information than "old."

If you're going to display it, look into what the recommended display options are for preserving something of it's age.

Also, don't do anything stupid like try to shoot it. That barrel could turn into a 4' hand grenade. Take it to a gunsmith for a good checkup first.

I didn't mean sell it, I meant other ways of displaying it. I don't have a great deal of interest in selling it, and it wouldn't fetch much in its current condition. It needs restoration. I have a library in my home, and I thought displaying this would be charming. (I hate to use a word like charming in reference to an old riffle, but I guess it's accurate enough for our purposes here). As far as other information about the riffle... that's a hard one. It has initials on the firing mechanism, we had some info on those letters many years ago. They were the initials of a blacksmith around the Civil War. It looks like this gun was retrofitted with an updated firing mechanism for the war. That's about all I got. Photos attached.
bfa2a79d.jpg

16c54563.jpg

588b89e2.jpg

f5d3ba8c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back