Mobil Clean High Mileage 10w40 - 95 Altima - 3,700

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 Nissan Altima
3,700 miles on Oil
121,000 on engine

Mobil Clean High Mileage 10w40
Blackstone Analysis

I marked it as a quart make up, but that is not true. It was about 1/2 a quart make up added during this change, maybe less (which it loses via small leak, not from burning it, the small leak is also why I run the 10w40 and HM oil).

The numbers...

Aluminum - 2
Chromium - 0
Iron - 5
Copper - 1
Lead - 3
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 147
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 0
Silver - 1
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 3
SILICON - 31

Sodium - 5
Calcium - 1791
Magnesium - 12
Phosphorus - 564
Zinc - 656

cST Viscosity @ 100 *C - 12.35
Flashpoint in *F - 405

Fuel Antifreeze - 0.00%
Water - 0.00%
Insolubles - 0.3 %

TBN - 3.2

The Silicon freaks me out a bit. I have a Mann Air Filter right now. It looks beautifully constructed, but I guess I'll switch to an OEM unit. Of course, the next sample will have already had the old one, so it may not improve next time.

Really happy with the results though. This KAE24DE is aging nicely I think (at least I hope that is ok to say based on the results).
smile.gif
Fingers crossed.

I do wish I could get to the bottom of the silicon issue.

Last edited:
I just had a thought!

1 year ago and an oil change before this one I did the following...

I had to replace the valve cover gasket.

To the point, it kept falling off when I would go to put the valve cover back on. Therefore, I put tiny little amounts, CRAZY tiny of silicone sealant to hold it down in a couple spots.

Is that more likely where this Silicon level is coming from than my air filter?

Many thanks.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Ayrton - Yes most likely. MANN filters (oil 'n air) are of the highest quality and OEM (and repackaged) for many Manufacturers

Thank you. Yep, that is why I started using Mann. They were OE on my Mercedes, so I started getting them for this old car.

It is interesting to note though, the OE Mann products for the Mercs are made in Germany. The filters for the Nissan are made in the U.S. and Canada. I suspect they are just Mann branded, but still high quality.

Hi,
Ayrton - MANN have collaborative Manufacturing arrangements and Factories around the World. These are all ISO9000 Certified. They purchased Federal-Mogul's filter production (Spinner etc) several years ago

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Ayrton - MANN have collaborative Manufacturing arrangements and Factories around the World. These are all ISO9000 Certified. They purchased Federal-Mogul's filter production (Spinner etc) several years ago

Thanks.

I'm glad I thought of the silicone sealant on the rubber gasket. It was such a small amount that I even find that hard to believe, but it seems like a high probability, so I'll rest easy hoping it was that.

At least now, having that suspicion, I don't have to go waste $15 on another Air Filter, when mine only has five thousand miles on it.

I'll see how the silicon tracks on future reports.

Now I'm using a mixture in this car, just because I'm oil crazy. I put 3 quarts of this M Clean High Mileage 10w40 in it (only oil I've found that nearly stops my leak completely) . However, I've mixed in 1/2 a quart of Castrol High MIleage 20w50 to thicken it a bit more for my tiny leak, and 1/2 a quart of Mobil 1 0w40 since I just have it always lying around from my Merc. Any top off needed I'm going to use the M1 0w40 and hope it doesn't cause the leak to be worse. I've tried straight synthetic repeatedly in this car, including the High Mileage variants in 40 viscosity, but they still pour out. I don't get it, but I've tried too many times and saw it with my eyes.

I always go back to this Mobil Clean High Mileage 10w40, and my leak is virtually nonexistent.

Last edited:
Nice results. Silicon would definetly be left-over from the gasket repair. If it was actual abrasive grit, lead and insols. would be higher, I'd think.

10W-40 is just AWFUL stuff, isn't it, thin-oil guys?

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back