Does XP have UAC??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does XP have UAC? Or something like it? And how the [censored] to turn it off?

We have one computer left in our network with XP. XP is probably the worst OS MS has released. Frankly 98 and ME were better. I know some of you will defend XP, don't bother. It's junk.

lol.gif

Pablo, I can sympathize with your dislike of XP. It never really agreed with me, either. I deleted XP from my netbook and installed Ubuntu. For my personal use, Ubuntu works better than XP did.

Just about every click, or program start it throws up this obnoxious looking large warning alone the lines of:

"....which user would like to run this program...."

ME was the worst abomination to ever pass through the doors of Redmond.

Anything based on 9x is simply inferior in every way to 2K and XP. Preemptive vs shared multi-tasking come to mind immediately.....

Pabs, you are having an issue that isn't the fault of the OS. It is a problem with how some PERSON has CONFIGURED that OS. Is the account you are using set as an Administrator? And no, XP has no form of UAC, but it DOES have the ability to allow you to run applications as a different user.

Is this your personal machine? Has it always done this? Need more details.

It's a shared computer, I rarely (never) us it. Some visitors and family use it. It does this message when logged on as the Admin or one of the users. No it has never done this before. I can see no option to turn it off. This Acer PC is pretty cheap and junky, and seems to really bog down. I clean it out every so often, turn the antivirus back on, etc...

It IS a [censored] OS, sorry to say. I would love to get get rid of all the multiple user rigmarole.

Then get rid of the multiple users?

I really don't see the issue. The OS is configurable in a variety of ways. If you aren't happy with how it is configured, change it.

And I'm not sure how a configuration issue makes an OS junk. I've dealt with every MS product since DOS 3. I've had to support and work on every MS product since Windows 95.

2K and XP were leaps and bounds ahead of their predecessors architecturally. They could be secured, were completely 32-bit (no 16-bit DOS subsystem like the 9x series) and brought to the table greater application compatibility and consumer-friendly features that were not present in NT4.0. Microsoft's previous business-grade OS.

To get back to your issue. If it is used by visitors and family, then am I to assume is has very little of importance on it? If this is the case a quick wipe and reload with the restore CD's may be the quickest way to get you back to a working setup. I imagine it has been "tinkered with" in more ways than what you are seeing.

BTW, what do YOU consider a good OS?

Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Windows 7 quite a bit. Vista is fine for me too - I'm using it now (4 years?)!!. I know it bugs you so called pros that people actually didn't mind Vista, but it never crashes or locks up on me like XP. I have 7 PC's and a host of other devices in my network, all is well except the XP wheezer.

I started this world in DOS 2 then 3.X. Then ALL the versions of Windows. I even had ME for near 4 years, with no real issues. But of all the post Win 3.1 OS's, XP is the worst. Just clunky and irritating. Stupid and not that configurable other than the MU junk. Wavinwayne summed it up.

Anyway there are couple of reasons why I can't go to a single user right now. Just want to get rid of the pop up message. No way to turn it off?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I like Windows 7 quite a bit. Vista is fine for me too - I'm using it now (4 years?)!!. I know it bugs you so called pros that people actually didn't mind Vista, but it never crashes or locks up on me like XP. I have 7 PC's and a host of other devices in my network, all is well except the XP wheezer.

I started this world in DOS 2 then 3.X. Then ALL the versions of Windows. I even had ME for near 4 years, with no real issues. But of all the post Win 3.1 OS's, XP is the worst. Just clunky and irritating. Stupid and not that configurable other than the MU junk. Wavinwayne summed it up.

Anyway there are couple of reasons why I can't go to a single user right now. Just want to get rid of the pop up message. No way to turn it off?

So called pro's? Really? So I am to assume you took your CCNA, MSCE, RHCE, BSC, [censored] you've probably got your CCIE too right? Or was that just a personal jab for the sake of it because you are frustrated?

BTW, I remarked in another discussion we had on Vista that I had no personal dislike for it either. After all, Vista was simply a fork of the product that became known as Windows 7 (I know that sounds backwards). So it is no surprise that in functionality they are similar. 7 is simply more refined, and subsequently lighter on resources. I've had no issues with Vista personally either. Other than on the same hardware, 7 is noticeably faster.

XP is structurally very similar to the two OS's you are contrasting it to. Instability issues on NT-based OS's come from two sources: hardware and drivers. Either the hardware it is running on is junk. Or the drivers for the hardware it is running on are junk. It is really that simple. Lock-ups and crashes stem from those two things.

XP is definitely less "refined" in terms of user interaction than Vista or 7. Given the time rift between its development and theirs, I would hope there had been improvements in that area. In terms of core structure, they are ALL an improvement over the 9x-series OS's by a WIDE margin. Even if your experiences have led you to believe otherwise.

Anyway, the "feature" you are experiencing is one that is supposed to let you run an application as another user on the system. To disable it, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Secondary Logon -> right-click, properties -> Stop. Set to disable.

Reboot.

Should be gone.

Oh man SORRY didn't mean YOU personally. I meant the collective WWW attacks on Vista..... I should not have used the word "YOU". My apologies. Not personal - but I was frustrated and angry doing my duty so someone could use that computer. Honestly I do think a lot of it is that Acer desktop. It's the only Acer in the network. I can't even remember how much RAM is on the thing, it's probably not much.

I will try your suggestion later today.

Again so sorry. I know you KNOW a TON more than me.

P

Overkill, Pablo ran ME longer than anyone I knew. He gave it up for a Vista box. Both ran fine for him (and Vista still does)...

Microsoft Bob was worse than ME. Dos 4.0 was the worst product to ever come out of Redmond. Pure junk.

Win 3.x/95/98/ME were all rubbish in my estimation. GPF's anyone? But yet, it's because of these products that I have a job. So I don't mind saying "thanks for the frustrations" to Microsoft
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Oh man SORRY didn't mean YOU personally. I meant the collective WWW attacks on Vista..... I should not have used the word "YOU". My apologies. Not personal - but I was frustrated and angry doing my duty so someone could use that computer. Honestly I do think a lot of it is that Acer desktop. It's the only Acer in the network. I can't even remember how much RAM is on the thing, it's probably not much.

I will try your suggestion later today.

Again so sorry. I know you KNOW a TON more than me.

P

No problem. I was just a little surprised that you seemed to be singling me out when I was trying to help you! LOL!

Thank you for clarifying.

Please let me know if that resolves your issues.

BTW, I've had plenty of issues with machines from ACER, Gateway...etc. Many of the systems peddled on the consumer market are built as cheaply as possible and the headaches and frustrations that users experience stem directly from this. Insufficient RAM, horrible, cheap chipsets... Inadequate cooling, bare-minimum PSU's that fail early.... And the list goes on. I feel your pain. I'm in the process of re-capping an E-Machine right now, LOL.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Overkill, Pablo ran ME longer than anyone I knew. He gave it up for a Vista box. Both ran fine for him (and Vista still does)...

Microsoft Bob was worse than ME. Dos 4.0 was the worst product to ever come out of Redmond. Pure junk.

Win 3.x/95/98/ME were all rubbish in my estimation. GPF's anyone? But yet, it's because of these products that I have a job. So I don't mind saying "thanks for the frustrations" to Microsoft
laugh.gif

Good post, and I agree with you. It is supporting Microsoft products that got me here, and continue to keep me here. Not much to "support" with Cisco products... Once they are setup, they just work, LOL!

Pablo, I admire your courage. You seem to be willing to stick by loser operating systems like Windows ME or Vista.
smile.gif

MS has a lot of horses in the race to the bottom.

Suggest an Ubuntu live CD for a trial run; nothing ventured nothing gained; security and multiuser are built in, not clumsily added on years after the OS was developed.

If you have to stick with windows for certain apps, that is understandable, if not, not looking @ other options in inconceivable.

-T

As mentioned many times before, everyone I have installed Ubuntu for, has never returned to Windows.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Anyway, the "feature" you are experiencing is one that is supposed to let you run an application as another user on the system. To disable it, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Secondary Logon -> right-click, properties -> Stop. Set to disable.

Reboot.

Should be gone.

I tried the cure. It was turned on. I Stopped it. Set to disable. Rebooted.

Dang - problem still there.

Quote:
Pablo, I admire your courage. You seem to be willing to stick by loser operating systems like Windows ME or Vista

Well I buy computers. They come with an OS. It better work!! It's not like I was seeking those OS's out. I agree ME was pretty [censored], but no one can tell me why Vista is so bad?? It NEVER crashes. It's networked just fine. It's really quite configurable. It's a HOG. But so is everything else that actually works from Gates. 64 Bit Win 7 does great on my Netbook with 4 GB Ram. Hacka if I'm gonna buy a new OS for a PC I bought. That's insane.

Anyway I'm still stuck - any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Pablo, can you get a screen capture of the window that pops up and post it here. I'd like to see what it looks like and the exact wording.

screen.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back