QS ad from 1938

Status
Not open for further replies.
From MOTOR Magazine. Posted for historical significance.

censored-QSDSC_0027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I've edited out the original subject line as I was asked if the OP (in a PM) could post this and I approved it.

What I did not approve is calling it what he did. I thought it would be nice to see how oil company marketing looked like in the 30's and what key words were used by Quaker State.

I've also removed posts that reflected the original subject topic because its not needed and would just get members riled up.

Hopefully the 3 member posts that I removed understand why their posts have been removed and please go ahead and re post if you have any comments on the old marketing piece. (think of it as a way to catch up to Pablo with your post count!
grin2.gif
)

Thanks for the understanding. Bill

What I found interesting was the "Acid free" marketing. I guess that some other mfg was possibly call QS (or QS had the rep) of being full of acid? Or that Acid was an issue.

Also 1 part of 10,000. Not the part per million which is the norm these days...

Check out QS location. Oil City, Pennsylvania!

There is a place for a BITOG meet if there was any!
lol.gif

Take care, bill

My subject was a warning for sensitive eyes. Glad the mods found a way to keep this image up.

It seems wierd that pH was the biggest deal for marketing. Can't you just buffer an extra acid-y batch and test it with litmus paper?

Or, that our oil is the best, because we only let male chemists do the work, not careless "others".

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...Also 1 part of 10,000. Not the part per million which is the norm these days...

I noticed that too.

That's cool.

I like old ads. They are sometimes more than just pitching a product but also a reflection of society at that time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sensitive types. Just throw a copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn at them and let them complain about the racial stereotyping of Jim (who is arguably the most compassionate, intelligent, and heroic character in the book)

I find the line interesting:

"Quaker State's four great modern refineries employ a group of men who have spent a working lifetime in solving the problems of refining the worlds best motor oil."

....I find it interesting b/c in this one area, how much has changed?

HOW many women are on here? Oil apparantly is still a man's domain, LOL!

:p

Originally Posted By: eljefino
that our oil is the best, because we only let male chemists do the work, not careless "others".

I think someone should sue Quaker State. This is outright bigotry! Keep it real people!
wink.gif

HA! Fantastic. I'm a touch disappointed in the editing, especially of something this old that is interesting as "LOOK HOW BACKWARDS THEY WERE!" But I'm grateful for the post, nonetheless.

Why are they saying "SELL" Quaker State? Was this ad mostly for shops/stations? One would think the comparison, baking a cake, would be for households not businesses. Also, did you notice how they talk about add specific amounts of ingredients to the baking, but she doesn't have any measuring cups/spoons?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Yes, back in those days, one would buy their oil at the "filling" station.

I think there reference to specific amounts of ingredients was referring to the fact that to make a better product you had to measure out the ingredients instead of using the pinch of this, or a pinch of that like shown in the picture.

Although when referring to cake, I would disagree with them. My Mom made the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten, and it was always a pinch of this, or a pinch of that. I have never found anyone who could duplicate her homemade chocolate icing. Emmmmmmmmm good.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, back in those days, one would buy their oil at the "filling" station.

My mom called them filling stations. My Grandma called them oil stations.
I had forgotten the terms until you reminded me.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Check out QS location. Oil City, Pennsylvania!

There is a place for a BITOG meet if there was any!
lol.gif

Take care, bill

Bill, you may have to come up here and check out Oil Springs, Ontario .
We could have the Canadian BITOG conference there.....

My mom called them filling stations. My Grandma called them oil stations.
I had forgotten the terms until you reminded me.

We called them "service stations" when I was a kid.

Or maybe a way to sell Yankee oil to folks in the South who got oil from Texas? Interesting to see what was done way back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back