Stud removal : Hard to remove them from ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
from COOPER Weather Master ST-2 snow tires ? There's only 8 > 9/32s left . The studs are sticking out about 2/16th of an inch out from the surface . Doesn't seem that it would be all that difficult to pull them out with heavy duty pliers since they're exposed that much . Want to remove them because they're scuffing up the surface of our new driveway . TIRERACK states it's fine to remove the studs .

Last edited:
Dig under them with a long, slim tool for leverage and pry them up, they'll pop right out. The secret is in finding the right tool. Sometimes using wire cutters and grabbing with them works too.

Yes, it's OK to remove studs, I've done it before.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Dig under them with a long, slim tool for leverage and pry them up, they'll pop right out. The secret is in finding the right tool. Sometimes using wire cutters and grabbing with them works too.

Yes, it's OK to remove studs, I've done it before.
Thought it might be o.k., we've had studs pull out when had to brake hard for deer on dry roads . Tires , didn't lose any air . Thanks .

Last edited:
I use my 3/16" flat blade screwdriver when I pop studs out. It doesn't taper to a larger width beyond the tip, so it's easy to get it in there.

Thanks , have found screw driver to work best . Weather hasn't been that cooperative . Don't have a garage
frown.gif
. Since the temps are colder seems like they're harder to remove ( rubber harder ? ) . Use needle nose as well . Have removed about 60 studs . Think there's 80 studs per tire . Tires are still on the car
wink.gif
. Royal pain in the _ _ _ . May just say the heck with it .

Last edited:
May use a hair dryer on low heat and warm the area of tire where stud is to soften the rubber making for easier removal . Think it'll help ?

Well, when I pulled the studs out of a snow tire last year, it was because the tire was worn enough that some of the studs were coming out on their own... throwing the tire out of balance. Might not have been so easy had the tire been less worn.

Simple solution: park on the street.

" Simple solution: park on the street. "

There is no STREET . It's a narrow town road with a dropoff on one side and a drainage ditch on our side . Not so simple .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back