Rotella T and Fram in the Kaw Concours now. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. . .I dumped the Valvoline 10w-40 motorycle oil and Purolator filter today and replaced it with Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and a Fram PH6017A filter. My first impression on the leak check around the neighborhood was pretty good--smooth shifting, but the real test will be next summer when its a 100+F. . .based on the reviews on this forum I expect it to work well. Thanks to all for the good advice on this forum!

As for the filters. . .the Purolator and Fram were almost the same price. The Purolator seemed to be built well enough and seemed to work OK (I'll be cutting it next week), but was made in China. The Fram appears to have equally good construction and is made in Canada. I expect the Fram to work equally well. Does anyone have experience with the Fram M/C filters, specifically the PH6017A? Any negatives?

PS: Total cost for this oil change was about $21.00
smile.gif

--Rob

I've read reports where people, for whatever reasons, didn't like Fram oil filters. I've been using them for years in my KLR650 (CH6070) with NO issues whatsoever. I usually run them for 6000 to 9000 miles because I only change the filter every second or third oil change. When I pull the filter I check for sparkles and filter integrity. I've never seen an integrity issue with them and they do their job as good as anything else. I also use Rotella T 15W40 in my KLR650 and Valkyrie. From my experience, I'd say you've made good choices in both oil and filter.

Rotella is good stuff. Most reports I have read, like this one Calsci , say that the motorcycle specific filters aren't as good as some of the car ones. A lot of folks use and like PureOnes, like the PL14610 or the PL14459. I'm sure it won't do any harm, but there are better filters around than that Fram. I've been using PureOnes on my Kawasaki 500 for about 18000 miles with good results and no issues.

Last edited:
The only concern I'd have about not using a m/c filter is the bypass relief valve setting. . . .for my bike it should be about 13-15 lbs. According to the Fram website it meets that spec. It seems like the auto filters might be set at a higher bypass pressure?

I've been around this forum long enough to read all the Fram bashing, but I don't think all their filters are poorly made. Some are, but the FRAM cartridge filter I use on my wife's Hyundai is built as good as the OEM. . no kidding, I've had them side-by-side and they are identical in construction. I'll take the FRAM bike filter apart when I'm done running it and let you guys know what it looks like.

Thanks for the comments!

Fram can build good products, as illustrated by the cut open Extended Guards we've seen on here. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those on anything, but they are a bit pricey. I look forward to seeing what the Fram motorcycle filter innards look like.

PH 6017A is the Honda spec. filter. If a filter fits a Honda Civic or Accord it will fit a Wing or any cycle that uses a similar filter, like the 6017A.

That means that any filter numbered PH7317 or PH6607 will fit and work fine.
Cross to your favorite brand of filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back