Canadian Tire's Motomaster re-packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up two jugs of the Motomaster Synthetic 5W20 (currently on sale fo $14.99/jug) and noticed that the jugs have changed in shape, they are now 5 litres instead of 4.4 and the "Full Synthetic" label has changed to just "Synthetic". Hopefully they haven't changed Shell as their supplier for this oil.

The packaging and name have also changed on their bottom-rung oil - it's now called 'Certified'.....

I'm pretty sure SOPUS still makes/packages CT oils, as the new package on the Certified oil is a plain black jug that looks a LOT like the new Pennzoil/QS jugs.....

I have always been very weary of anything branded "Motomaster" you have no way to know what is really in that oil. I would wait for the GC to go back on sale for $5.95 per Liter. Synthetic can likely mean just about anything...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have always been very weary of anything branded "Motomaster" you have no way to know what is really in that oil. I would wait for the GC to go back on sale for $5.95 per Liter. Synthetic can likely mean just about anything...

Umm, I know exactly what's in "that" oil. It's been discussed many times here and around the net that all Motomaster oils are re-branded Shell Canada products.

Right they are Shell Canada products but we can't get a PDS on them although I've tried.

And Bluestream, $5.95/L is a good price for GC but PC's 0W-30 everyday price is less on a case of 12 and is a better choice for those that don't need a heavy 30wt.

I was in CT today and checked it out. At my store 5W30 and 10W30 only for the sale price. I bought to bottles, as my daughter was working and gets a further discount. I really don't need more oil, but the sirens call of $13.04 for 5 liters was too much to resist

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Right they are Shell Canada products but we can't get a PDS on them although I've tried.

And Bluestream, $5.95/L is a good price for GC but PC's 0W-30 everyday price is less on a case of 12 and is a better choice for those that don't need a heavy 30wt.

Are you talking about this:

Canadian Tire MSDS Page

Search Motomaster Formula 1 - you'll get a lot of hits.

I picked up a 4.4 liter jug at the store. As I was walking to the cashier I saw that there were 5 liter jugs on sale as well in the aisle. I put the 4.4 liter jug back and got the 5 liter. What a deal! 5 lters of shell group 3 for $16., got to love it.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
When did Shell start making Motomaster oils? Imperial Oil always used to make the Motomaster oil for CT.

It has to be at least ten years now.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
When did Shell start making Motomaster oils? Imperial Oil always used to make the Motomaster oil for CT.

It has to be at least ten years now.
Wow, I didn't know that. Shows how long ago it was since I looked at a Motomaster oil bottle, lol. Been an avid Amsoil user for quite a while!

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Are you talking about this:

Canadian Tire MSDS Page

Search Motomaster Formula 1 - you'll get a lot of hits.

Enter the stock number 28-8712 . See HERE

Originally Posted By: big_guy
If I didn't have so much oil in stock already. I'd be loading up the grocery cart on that deal!!!

Same here , I've got several jugs sitting in the garage now for the old GMC pickup that should last for a few years of oil changes .

Seems to me Esso and Sunoco have all produce oil for CTC at some time . I'm sure CTC has the different oil companies bid on supplying them , lowest bid wins .

Last edited:
Yes I picked up a 5L Jug of their 5W-20 SN GF-5 oil yesterday for $14.99. That's less than 3 bucks/L if you included the Cdn Tire money you get back.

That's the cheapest price I can recall ever paying for a syn oil and that's not factoring inflation.

If I didn't have so much oil in stock already. I'd be loading up the grocery cart on that deal!!!

Don't let that stop you...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Don't let that stop you...

LOL...spoken like a true BITOGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back