Formula 1 prediction for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is is guys. Sebastian Vettel will be the world champion AGAIN in 2011. This time by a long shot (because the reliability and bad luck won't strip him of so many points. ...law of probability at work there.)

Alonso. He always seems to find a way to be around at the end of races (when it counts.) Little help this year from Massa, and driving a marginal car, but still found his way into the championship fight.
BTW, I'm really glad that Vettel got the championship this year - he certainly earned it.

Did you see Alonso flipping off Petrov at the end of the race because he couldn't pass him?
TAB... typical Alonso behavior.

He's certainly a hot-head. I realize that these guys are among the most obsessively competitive people in the world, but to be t/o'd at someone because they don't pull aside for you during a race (especially when it's for position) is totally without justification. If you can't find a way to pass, then just sit back there and keep both hands on the wheel. JMO.

Thats the way I see it too. Alonso always was a hot-head.
This is one of the reasons I like Vettel so much. He seems to be such a gentleman. A perfect personality. I would say if it were Petrov holding him up in that race, at the end he would have simply thrown his hands up as if to say "thats all I could do." Not threatened and flipped off the poor Russian.

Next year with KERS back McLaren will reign supreme with a strong challenge from Ferrari and Lewis Hamilton will win, with a strong assist from his able teammmate Jenson Button sniping points off a very strong Alonslow.

Too bad Ferrari's #2 driver will suck, will all his will to win sapped by Fred's prima donna attitude.

:p

Yeah, I know what you mean. Vettel's KERS button didn't work for the entire 2009 season.

With KERS coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if Williams becomes competitive again. I am intrigued by their composite flywheel/M-G system.

Williams were working on a flywheel design that stored the energy as motion, right, as opposed to batteries? But I don't think they even tested it, and it's not really practical for a race car...the mass of the disc has to be fairly high, and it has to be kept in near perfect vacuum on near frictionless bearings, running on an air cushion IIRC.

Yes, Williams' flywheel is a carbon fiber composite with iron particles mixed in so that it can generate electricity directly within the flywheel, instead of having a separate generator that is driven through a COMPLICATED mechanical variable-speed drive. They have been working on it for at least 3 years, and have it running in the Porsche GT3 Hybrid that almost won the 24 Hours of Nurburgring this year. I have read that on a mass basis, the flywheel can store more energy than a lithium-ion battery, and doesn't have the same limitations in terms of how quickly it can be charged or discharged, and will not lose storage capacity over time. These are the kinds of issues battery engineers are working to overcome, but you never hear about in the mass media blather about pure electric cars.

The flywheel definitely has the technical challenges you mention, so it's not assured that Williams will be successful. And I also wonder what effect on handling the flywheel will have. It's basically a big gyroscope, so will the car be more eager to turn one direction than the other? But as a techie, it's a story I will follow in the F1 saga of 2011.

Right, the gyroscopic effect can be interesting. Also the safety aspect of a flywheel with a BUNCH of kinetic energy stored in it hurtling down a straightaway at 190MPH...

Good points...
Williams could be the superstar of 2011 because of their "mechanical" KERS. It could give them the "Unfair Advantage" that all race car engineers have searched for every season.
Wonder if Ferrari and McLaren have a technical advantage since they used KERS extensively already? I'm trying to remember... did Renault use KERS in '09? If so then I would assume their technology would be what Red Bull would use right? (since Red Bull uses Renault engines.) ??

Interesting setup they have going on at Renault.

Were the blown diffusers officially banned? if so how long until Ferrari put it back on their car and threaten to leave F1 unless they are the only ones allowed to have it?

Teams are still allowed to use exhaust gas to energize flow in the diffuser, there is just much stricter regulation about slots in the decks, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back