Need 215/60-16 for 2004 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of new 215/60-16 tires for my 2004 Ford Taurus. I currently have some ~3 year old Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it with decent tread left but one tire has two nice splits in the sidewall. They have roughly 50,000 miles on them and have been a good tire. My only complaint is snow/winter performance. They have ZERO traction when trying to take off, no matter how gentle/slow you are.

So, I figured I would just replace all four and be done with it. I am not wanting to spend more then ~$500 total and will not order them online. I patronize a Mom & Pop type place that sells Cooper, Uniroyal, Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, Yokohama, and Dunlop.

Any tire recommendations?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Cooper CS4s.

I am liking what I read/see about these. There seems to be two kinds of CS4 tires. I am liking the CS4 Touring T series. Going to call tomorrow about them.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I am in need of new 215/60-16 tires for my 2004 Ford Taurus. I currently have some ~3 year old Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it with decent tread left but one tire has two nice splits in the sidewall. They have roughly 50,000 miles on them and have been a good tire. My only complaint is snow/winter performance. They have ZERO traction when trying to take off, no matter how gentle/slow you are.

So, I figured I would just replace all four and be done with it. I am not wanting to spend more then ~$500 total and will not order them online. I patronize a Mom & Pop type place that sells Cooper, Uniroyal, Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, Yokohama, and Dunlop.

Any tire recommendations?

Even if you don't like to buy tires online, you still can search for what is best for your driving conditions and money online, using Tirerack to see what they have and owners opinions about certain tires.

For your size and your budget, I would pick one of the following, they are reasonable priced, have long tread life, good performance on all conditions, not as good as snow tire but will be able to use on light snow:

Hankook Optomo H727
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
Yokohama AVID Touring-S.

I have Yokohama AVID Touring-S on LS400,, it is quiet and nice ride, good on wet and dry.

I have Hankook Optomo H727 on Mercury Tracer, it has a soft ride and quiet on highway and surface streets.

Last edited:
Michelin Harmony/X Radial/Destiny
Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred
Yokohama Avid TRZ
Firestone FR710/Precision Touring/Firehawk GT-H

Size 215-60-16 is the size tire that Consumer Reports Mag used as their test tire. This size has many brands in which to choose. Set a criteria(most important to least important) and pick the tire of your choice.

Also, as mentioned, The Tire Rack and too, Discount Tire Direct websites are another great source of information when comparing tires as their review sections are wonderful place to start. When you see their prices shipped to you house or installer of your choice, you may just change your mind about where/how you buy your tires.

I also used to use only local tire stores, where ever I could get the best prices and it was convienent should I ever have a problem with a tire. Any issue that I ever had with a tire other than flat repair was never taken care of and I usually don't have tire issues anyway so, buying online for me is the only way I'll go these days.

Last edited:
Recommend you get free lifetime rotation and balance services like DT gives you. Also make sure the Dealer will prorate the warranty on the tires,when they wear out before the stated warranty. All things equal,pick the tire with the longest/best warranty. Good luck with it.

Firestoe Precision Touring
General Altimax RT
Kelly Navigator Touring Gold.

Throw the name of each in a hat, shake it up, and draw one.

I'd personally go for 4 Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds with an 80,000 mile tread life warranty.

I replaced the Tripletreds om my '05 500 a month ago. They were the worst tire I have ever put on a car. Not sure what went wrong.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Says you're in central Illinois...

Do you have a Blain's Farm and Fleet nearby?

I am in Springfield and I believe there is one up in Peoria. About an hour and fifteen minutes up the interstate.

+1.
I'm very happy with this tire on my '99 Accord after 15K.
Quiet, good ride, good in rain and snow.
Good rebate through Monday, as well.

Originally Posted By: dave munson
I replaced the Tripletreds om my '05 500 a month ago. They were the worst tire I have ever put on a car. Not sure what went wrong.

Too bad they didn't work for your application.

It seems that the majority of users surveyed on TR and with over 51 million miles logged, you are among the few it didn't work out for.

All-Season Tire Survey

The GY Assurance TT came in second to the Michelin HydroEdge.

I'm surprised you wouldn't go with dedicated winter tires in your area . All seasons are fine but the difference between winter tires and all seasons in tough winter conditions is huge .

I drive a 2000 Taurus BTW and use Toyo Vesados for summer and Toyo GO2's for winter ( use both these on our 07 Fusion too ). Lots of 16" Taurus rims avaiable now .

My Cavalier has 50k miles on the GY Triple Treads, and there's enough to make it through this winter. It's the best All Season tire I've owned.

Some people have great succuss with a particularly hihgly rated tire and others have lousey succuss. I can't answer as to why but, I can come up with a few factors as to why this may be IMHO! Taking Front wheel drive only vehicles for example.

1) Number of cylinders over the front axel(4cyl as compared to 6cyl).
2) Aluminum block/heads vs Cast Iron.
3) Tilt/position of the engine and weight distribution.
4) Traction Control as compared to NOT!

Now that everything has just about gone to aluminum block/heads, GM cast iron V6's always seemed to do great in the snow...LeSabre's, GrandPrix, Lumina's, Impalia's etc. as well as Ford Vulcan 3.0/3.8 V6's Taurus's / Sable's, compared to, ohh, let's say, a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry with aluminum block/head 4 cyl. I have actually had a rear wheel drive 73 Chrysler(mentioned in another recent post) that did better in the snow and ice with regular A/S tires than most Honda Accord 4 cyl FWD. NO LIE!

The Honda(had 3) was an overall better car for most other things that I bought it for but, snow traction with regular A/S tires wasn't it's forte'. I had to find better A/S tires to make the car(s) worth a $#!+ in the winter time and then it was fine and I drove them for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back