chrome vanadium sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried these chrome vanadium sockets? I just ordered a set from HF. These are hand tool sockets not impact. They do not look as shinny as normal sockets.

I have a set of the 3/8 drive metric sockets. The ones with the large numbers on the side. Very good quality.

I have a full 1/4 drive set in my small backup tool box.

Above average China-tools. Cordless drills haven't destroyed them yet. I only get a couple months out of a good 7mm on average. I'll have to see how that 7mm is holding up.

You actually "ordered" stuff from HF? Do you have free shipping code? If so, share it with us :)

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You actually "ordered" stuff from HF? Do you have free shipping code? If so, share it with us :)

- Vikas

I do not have a HF store near me, so I have to order and pay shipping. I would also like a free shipping code for HF.

Wife lost some of my good Craftsman and Power Craft (Montgomery Wards) sockets.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Vikas

- Vikas

I do not have a HF store near me, so I have to order and pay shipping. I would also like a free shipping code for HF.

Wife lost some of my good Craftsman and Power Craft (Montgomery Wards) sockets.

Craftsman stuff is so cheap these days its easy enough to replace. Get one of the 260 piece sets on sale for $170 and be done with it or just one of the smaller socket sets on sale.

HF has different levels of quality. With the sockets if they are made in Taiwan they are generally quite good. Made in china or india are generally quite bad. Usually you find out when a socket lets go and your fist and ratchet either flies into your face or into some sharp metal bits of a car.

6 month ago I was able to purchase Craftsman 192 piece set for under $50! It is good (not great) set and it is made in USA.

With HF, you either needs to know the quality before hand or need to eyeball it. They keep on changing their suppliers. Some of the stuff looks decent in the paper (or web) but when you see it in person, it is way bad.

- Vikas

I picked up a Mastercraft 233 piece chrome-vanadium socket set the other day for $80 (it was 70% off). Lifetime warrantied and it should hold up well. I also have a 42 piece set (same brand, bought on a similar sale) which is good enough for most simple, routine jobs. Both sets are metric and SAE.

I just couldn't resist the sale price on the full set. You'll get more mileage out of chrome-vanadium if you use PB Blaster to loosen corroded bolts first rather than trying to force it with the socket - and if its really stuck, then this is where a good box end wrench is ueseful to loosen it slightly.

Nothing wrong with chrome-vanadium sockets so long as one exercises a little care and common sense by using the proper tools for the job.

-Spyder

Last edited:
A 6 point impact socket and long breaker bar is generally the best tool for stubborn fasteners (besides an impact wrench). A box end wrench is generally 12 point and would be my 3rd choice after the impact socket/breaker bar and chrome socket/breaker on stubborn 6 point fasteners.

Chrome Vanadium Steel is actually used in many high end tools, PB Swiss for example still say CV on their tools. Most don't though and it has become kind of like the generic stamp for generic tools that want to sound like they are strong. In general CV tools made in taiwan are excellent quality and can stand up to heavy home use.

Last edited:
+1

All my K-Mart and VIP socket sets bought decades ago are stamped with Chrome Vanadium. I thought they all were chrome vanadium.

- Vikas

OK, socket set arrived. I did not expect a rachet wrench, but it was included. Now I have 4 or 5. My old set was some 12 PT SAE sockets and some 6 PT metric sockets. Unsure how to judge the new socket set unless one breaks.

The fact that sockets are made of chrome-vanadium alloy is no guarantee that they were properly heat treated in some third world country.

Even the cheapest junk from big lots is marked CV.The Stahlwille i got years ago are marked Chrome molybdenum vanadium,the price even 35 yrs ago was on the high side of expensive.

The only socket I have ever broken was a HF impact socket that I was using with a normal (non impact) wrench to get off an oil drain plug. The drain plug must have really been blasted on.

In another case I bent a box end wrench trying to take off the drain plug of another car.

With a washer of some type why are these mechanic want-to-be people blasting on the drain plug? These were my daughter's cars and Dad was trying to help.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The only socket I have ever broken was a HF impact socket that I was using with a normal (non impact) wrench to get off an oil drain plug. The drain plug must have really been blasted on.

In another case I bent a box end wrench trying to take off the drain plug of another car.

With a washer of some type why are these mechanic want-to-be people blasting on the drain plug? These were my daughter's cars and Dad was trying to help.
Can't tell you how many Snapon sockets/wrenches I have broken or wore out at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back