Mobil1 75W90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 75w-90 is a great gear oil. I use it when I can't find redline. Truthfully pretty much any of the synthetic variants are going to provide great lubrication. Picking a lubricant from a white paper is a bit ridiculous. Funny how amsoil is always "better" than M1 and other well repsected boutique companies. A bit fishy if you ask me........

And not to rant, but amsoil is not anywhere near a competitor of Mobil/Exxon or Mobil 1 as a lubricant line. They are after all a boutique oil company who buys product from Mobil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Mobil 1 75w-90 is a great gear oil. I use it when I can't find redline. Truthfully pretty much any of the synthetic variants are going to provide great lubrication. Picking a lubricant from a white paper is a bit ridiculous. Funny how amsoil is always "better" than M1 and other well repsected boutique companies. A bit fishy if you ask me........

And not to rant, but amsoil is not anywhere near a competitor of Mobil/Exxon or Mobil 1 as a lubricant line. They are after all a boutique oil company who buys product from Mobil.

It's funny, my whole point in posting that white paper was to note how well the M1 performed. I just seemed to stir up Amsoil hate. That honestly wasn't my intention. I've asked if anyone else has any suggestions for testing on gear oil to view, and have been met with silence...

But to you point, Amsoil isn't really much of a competitor to XOM, but XOM is CERTAINLY a competitor to Amsoil. If you don't understand that distinction there isn't really much I can do to explain it.

Things around here go on cycles. Amsoil is in rotation for a little extra "attention" on the rotating whipping post right now. The lesson to me is to not get so brand loyal that we take criticism of any company personally. So many here do.

As to the white paper, I don't like relying on a marketing tool for objective info but we have nothing else that comprehensive for comparison.

"but XOM is CERTAINLY a competitor to Amsoil. If you don't understand that distinction there isn't really much I can do to explain it".

Well of course, thats obvious. Like it or not Mobil will always be at the top of the heap. I have no hatred for amsoil. They make fine lubricants. Do I trust the white papers, NO. Are other larger oil companies guilty of the same sort of advertising propaganda, sure.

Sorry for getting off topic....

I'm using the Mobil 1 75W90 in my "80 Firebird FORMULA rear diff and in my wife's '01 Lexus RX-300 transfer case and rear diff. Several years now. It's all good! The best thing I can say is that I notice nothing.

My Honda pilot says to use 80w-90 in the differential...it only takes about a half quart....I can not find that weight in anything less than five gallons...I can find M1 75w90 in a small quart size....anybody know if I can use that instead?

Just double check you owners manual for anything specific. The owners manual for my Lexus states 80W90 GL-5 and I use the Mobil 1 75W90. My T/C and Diff each take a full qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back