Carb vs Brake vs NC brake cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres my take on this, I use a lot of brake clean

Chlorinated works better at cleaning hands down.......

non chlorinated doesn't seem to mess you up as bad, my skin seems to be able to take more of it without getting dried out.

also, getting Chlorinated brake clean in your arm pits or eye balls is quite the experience! If even the slightest amount gets in your eye, you will immediately stop whatever you are doing and haul [censored] for the sink at warp speed 9! Nice little sting to it...... Non chlorinated doesn't seem to bother me, I got some in my eye on a couple occasions just today.....

but given this, I'd rather make better use of my money, not be an idiot and spray myself in the eye, and use the better cleaning, chlorinated stuff... because in the end we buy it to clean..... if you wanted to be healthier or environmentally friendly, you wouldn't be buying it in the first place.

my next best suggestion is Simple Green, it works ok, and is also AWESOME for corroded battery terminals, spray some on, wash off with hot water.... Its more friendly stuff, and supposedly you can even drink it!

a better cleaner, but more dangerous to the user, is SuperClean, or Purple Power... I've seen it in various names, its a purple degreaser basically....

For a lot of simple jobs where you may be tempted to use brake cleaner or carb cleaner, you can consider using starter fluid. You can even choose to leave a light oil coating if you get the starter fluid with lubricating oil. Keep in mind that there are several formulations on the market - some are pretty close to carb cleaner anyway. The down side is that I expect starter fluid to be more flamable - not a good plan for smokers.

California residents: you can still buy tetrachloroethylene (the ingredient in chlorinated brake cleaner). It's sold as "Lectra Motive" energized electrical equipment cleaner.

The parts stores near me stock it--and they put it on the shelf right next to the non-chlorinated brake cleaner!

God knows I absorbed most of these chemicals in my skin. My understanding is that Chlorine if absorbed in high doses will eventually lead to Colin Cancer. I concur that Chlorine Brake Cleaner works best. Carb Cleaner has Benzene like Gasoline and Petroleum products. That is why it eats through plastic, rubber,etc.

even though Tetrachloroethylene is non-flamable you shouldnt smoke around it, cause if its heated it will make poisonous fumes.

I have C and NC brake cleaner from CRC. The NC stuff scares me - it smells uber-toxic, damages paint and harms far more surfaces than the C. I don't make a career of working with any of these things and typically use gloves if I'm using any of them. I'm sticking with the chlorinated CRC stuff (red can) myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back