Fram Xtended Guard compared to Purolator PureONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsw

Question:
How does Fram Xtended Guard oil filter compare to Purolator PureONE Oil Filter?
Which one is better suited for 5000 oci?

Thanks

Short answer as to construction, Xtended Guard is built more robustly, PureOne has a higher efficiency rating. PureOnes are cheaper. Both are fine for 5000 miles, which is actually at the low end of normal OCIs these days. Most manufacturers are recommending 7500 miles and up. Fram says the Xtended Guard provides up to 10,000 miles of oil protection.

I used them both, posted them both on here, and prefer the Xtended Guard. IMO they are better built filter. Filteration is about the same for both our Honda/Nissan filter.

I`ve thought about the Pure Ones,but the outer can is so flimsy,I can smush them in my bare hands. Frams have a stronger can.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
If your can doesn't hang down where it might get hit by something, who cares how thick it is?

+1......for 5000 OCI....the Pureolator PureOne would be my choice. Why spend 50 to 60% more for such a short OCI !

Either filter isn't needed for 5,000 mile oil change intervals. There are too many engines lasting 250,000+++ miles " reality check time" using the cheapest filters and dino oils to even consider needing to use premium oil and filters at most oil change intervals.

^^^what Steve S said^^^

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to use a $12 filter for 5,000 miles, go for it...otherwise ANY decent filter is more than adequate for that interval unless your motor has some peculiar malady you forgot to mention.

5k OCI, Pure One. Can be had from AAP for
As for can thickness, ~40 year diy oil changes never had a distorted can, even the orange can. No biggie, IMO.

I did forget to mention that I will use it on a 97 Accord with 100000 miles. It always used dino oil and not on a regular oci. As an experiment, I am going to put in Mobil1 HM 5w-30. I guess maybe Fram XG will work better since it does hold more dirt. My plan is to do 5000 oci for a few times and see how much Mobil1 HM will actually clean up the engine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve thought about the Pure Ones,but the outer can is so flimsy,I can smush them in my bare hands.

Please Youtube that one!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
5k OCI, Pure One. Can be had from AAP for
As for can thickness, ~40 year diy oil changes never had a distorted can, even the orange can. No biggie, IMO.

I had a dented can on my 5.3 chevy once, thankfully it was a champ filter with a thick can. However, on a car that the filter doesnt hang low, i'd use a purolator with no hesitation, oreven a motorcraft that has a thicker can vs its puro counterpart.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Use the Fram Extended Guard for two oil changes every 5,000 miles.

Great idea! Puts your oil filter cost at about $4.50 per 5000 OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back