1998 Dodge Ram Cummins 24v coolant is green right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what every thing online tells me but I want to expand that a bit to BITOG experts.

Borrowed my aunt's truck and it seems like the overflow is dry.

You need a conventional diesel/HD coolant. It's basically the same as Green but has nitrites. Fleetcool or Fleetcharge would be two examples. Although I think you could get by with using G-05.

Last edited:
I added the Peak I had around which was standard green. That is what it had in it, well green at least. The radiator was actually 1-2 inches low as well only noticed cause he temp gauges was dancing wildly, not overheating mind you. Not that it matters since everything I've read on the subject denotes the cooling system is oversized for the application anyway.

The manual in the truck was really vague as well, indicating to use just ethylene glycol coolant.

All is well, no issues. Used about a gallon.

They originally used low-silicate green-SCA/DCA usage wouldn't be a bad idea-but the Cummins B is not a wet sleeve/cylinder liner engine-so it's not really necessary. ELC would be good too-but like Dexcool & other 2-EHA coolants-make sure that NO air can get into the system. The 2 Cummins powered Rams I've had both had G-05 from the factory-ZERO problems here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back