Made in Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was young (grew up on a farm), the Made in Taiwan tools were considered "junk". Back then, "Made in Taiwan" meant the same as "Made in China" today. Now, once again, I'm starting to see a few more tools "Made in Taiwan". Are these considered a step above those "Made in China", or the same? Just curious...

My dad has an old set of sockets, the 12pt and even the 6pt 10mm sockets were rounded. The 12pt is rounded to the point where it should just be thrown out. This set is over 20 years old.

But Taiwan and China has improved over the years. I consider Taiwan a premium Asian tool manufacture. I think Blue-Point is mostly Taiwan and Williams sockets most non-US tools are from Taiwan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Are the top line Craftsman, S-K and Snap-On still made in US of A?

Yes but there are many taiwan tools I would buy before I bought some of craftsman's budget USA tools. SK went bankrupt and was bought by ideal. Snap on is mostly US made though no longer proudly displays it on their ratchets.

Craftsman is slowly introducing some Chinese made tools. Their polished flare nut wrenches as well as their once highly sought, polished Pro Line combo wrenches are now from China.

Sad

About 20 years ago I was at the local Pic-A-Part. I was pulling some camel hump heads off a Chevy and I broke my 5/8's socket. Went to the guy up front that sells tools.

He didn't have any SAE sockets but he did have a Tiawan made impact set that had a 16mm socket which will work for a 5/8's.

I paid about $10 for the set.

I still have that set and use it often. I would put them up against any other brand and I'm sure they would hold their own.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
IMHO, USA >> Taiwan >> China in quality and quality control.

Price and warranty are also considerations.

This is what I was thinking. Thanks for everyone's opinion. I was just curious because I say a set at Costco, and I "assumed" they were Made in China. Turns out it was Taiwan. I've seen others lately as well -- something I hadn't seen much in the past 30 years.

USA > All in hand tools.

Say what you will about the quality of American made products but our union made hand tools are still the best.

I will put my Klein tools against anybody's Asian or European made same tool any time.

From time to time I will buy tools made in other countries, but for the ones I make a living with? American.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

USA > All in hand tools.

Say what you will about the quality of American made products but our union made hand tools are still the best.

I will put my Klein tools against anybody's Asian or European made same tool any time.

From time to time I will buy tools made in other countries, but for the ones I make a living with? American.

Nippex pliers are on par with klien imo. German Made

Last edited:
you need to study china history. my dad was in china at the end of ww2. in china there was two groups, red commies(moa)(the bad guys), Nationalist Kuomintang led by Chiang Kai-Shek (the good guys), who had to flee for there lives in 1949 to taiwan, was formosa. the nationlist supported the U.S.A.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

USA > All in hand tools.

Nippex pliers are on par with klien imo. German Made

I put Knipex above any other brand in this department. Amazing stuff not even a close second to them.

sorry i didnt mean to sound so harsh. what i was thinking was, you might enjoy reading about china history. did you know that Chiang Kai-Shek was Baptized in a Methodist church in the late 30s.

Originally Posted By: babyjay8495

I put Knipex above any other brand in this department. Amazing stuff not even a close second to them.

That end type wire stripper they make is a pretty handy design in some situations.

But it does cost twice as much and to me the materials aren't any better.

There was a time when the Low quality stuff was made in Germany.
Later it was Japan then Taiwan. But I have to admit China is improving almost on a monthly basis. and why not, they (China)are market driven, they will produce what sells.

I just noticed that the Husky pliers I recently bought were made in China, I still can't fault the quality.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You would not say that if you looked at some of latest USA made Craftsman tools :-(

What exactly is wrong with the latest Craftsman tools? I bought lots of their tools lately and they are as good as my MAC and Snap On stuff. I see no lack in quality at all.

I consider Taiwan a huge step above China in quality. For a low cost item, I'd much rather see made in Taiwan on the sticker over made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back