Slick 50 Duralube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works very well in draining your wallet and do nothing else for your engine. If you like, try MOS2 at NAPA for $4.xx a bottle.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It works very well in draining your wallet and do nothing else for your engine. If you like, try MOS2 at NAPA for $4.xx a bottle.

As I recall, it also did a fairly good job of filling up all the small crevices in cylinder walls in one test.... you know... the honing grooves and voids where OIL needs to stay in order to lubricate the rings properly.

I think Slick 50 originally got its name because it was a Slick way to take $50 away from you. It was advertised in magazines for $50 a quart. A long time ago Briggs & Stratton engines were increasingly needing warranty work for failures. Since warranty work costs money, B&S investigated what was causing there little engines to fail. They found most, if not all, engines had Teflon in the oil which caused bearing and cylinder failure. They found that the Teflon in the oil melted and burned, at operating temps, onto the surfaced that needed lubrication. B&S engines do not have oil filters to remove any large chunks of Teflon that fall out of suspension in the oil. In an automotive engine the large chunks get removed. One the other hand, Kawasaki racing uses some type of Teflon in there oil. They found that a certain amount of Teflon increased power for the short interval that the engine will run in a race. Long term results is unimportant since the motor will be torn apart after the race. Slick 50 today contains no Teflon.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Slick 50 is a SOPUS product?.......interesting.

Yes, but not by choice. (The basic answer) Slick 50 was owned by another company that owned other car care products. When SOPUS bought the other company, they got stuck with Slick 50.

Quote:
Shell’s Car Care business is a comprehensive portfolio of leading care car brands including Rain-X, Auto Expressions, Fix-a-Flat, Black Magic, Blue Coral, Westley’s, Gumout, Slick 50, and The Outlaw

Duralube used to market a pump spray bottle of general purpose lube that seemed pretty decent for "general-household" things. I even did a "quick-clean" on a hand gun with it once since I had nothing else to use. Did a good job. Now their engine stuff....
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: casperfun
So does this stuff work? I use to use it back in the day when I was younger. Slick 50.

Anybody use these? Opinions?

The packaging on them is slick. The price is high. The promises generic, same as on every other additive (good or bad) you'll find.

My take: use mos2 as the other member suggested. Its had a VOA done on it, and there is some scientific basis to indicate its a good anti-wear agent, and not snakeoil. Its also inexpensive.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back