Top Tier gas gone ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need someone to set me straight and explain how to find good gas.

ALL the Chevrons in my area are GONE. All changed over to Shells.
I always understood Chevron to be THE BEST gas available due to its superior additive package. How does Shell compare?

I really don't understand the terminology. What is a "Top Tier" gasoline? Who makes top tier gas? What does it mean to be top tier?

The Marathon oil company DOMINATES my area. I have ZERO respect for Marathon for SEVERAL reasons. Also I've always understood that they are one of the companies that just put in the minimum detergents required by law.

Is there a list somewhere of different companies and the quality of the additives they put in their gas?

Anyone who can explain these things to me would be much appreciated.

This website should explain it http://www.toptiergas.com/. Shell is top tier and is very good probably the best along with Chevron. Now Mobil is also top tier but I've been sticking with Shell and haven't had any problems. Around me Shell and Mobil are the only top tier although they are building turkey hill stations and they are top tier. We have a lot of Sunoco and some Marathons, but i don't use them.

I have been using Exxon/Mobil for over a million miles now...I actually wish Chevron would pull out of South Florida as they are 10 cents higher then any other brand down here.

I use Shell and Mobil when I can. If no Chevrons, find a Texaco (same as Chevron and has Techron).

The 1 cent difference between top tier and bargain gas in my area is a no brainer for me.

Dave

Shell is excellent and you will have no problems with it. In my area is the only fuel that doesn't have ethanol.

Shell is getting harder to find in KC especially on the Missouri side. It is worth my efforts as it gives me better mileage(at least 1 MPG+), I get a 5% discount with my Shell Mastercard, and my truck idles so smooth on it, that when fully warm it is hard to tell it is running. No other brand does that for me.

Was BP ever top tier?

They've pretty much locked up my locale, although I think the individual stations are owned by various foreign entities.

Originally Posted By: RnR
Was BP ever top tier?

They've pretty much locked up my locale, although I think the individual stations are owned by various foreign entities.

no

Hi.

Remember, Top Tier is like a voluntary certification. GM Dexos, Honda whatever, SAE-certified, etc.

What that means for the company is that they have to pay to be a part of this club. What it means for the consumer is usually higher-quality all around for the products they are seeking.

But that doesn't mean that "uncertified" stuff is bad. Amsoil, Lubrication Engineers, etc are pretty good and not all their products have that certification symbol like the supermajors do.

In terms of gas, if you're buying from the big names, they certainly are almost all Top Tier. Except Arco/BP. But it's not bad gas.

In terms of additives, now they're almost all the same. There are a certain set of compounds (amines) that do the work (cleaning/keeping things clean). Basic organic chemistry. Each company has its own formulation of the same stuff (amines) that claim they are better than the other. I wouldn't believe it way to the bone, but in terms of Shell v. Chevron, both are great haha.

Have fun

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Shell is excellent and you will have no problems with it. In my area is the only fuel that doesn't have ethanol.
I wouldn't want to bet on that-one of my customers has been a Shell dealer (garage & c-store owner) for over 20 years-and he informed me that Shell started w/10% ethanol around 2 years ago-it had to do with the federal ban on MBTE and meeting federal emission standards. AFAIK no stations in OH have 100% gas any longer (another reason to go diesel!).

If you don't want ethanol in your gas, you probably don't want "Top Tier" gas. Read the Top Tier gas website carefully and you will find that the gas is required to contain 8% to 10% ethanol. Ethanol in the gas doesn't bother me as it does have some benefits, although I don't think that it contributes significantly to smog reduction; which was its original purpose.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I wouldn't want to bet on that-one of my customers has been a Shell dealer (garage & c-store owner) for over 20 years-and he informed me that Shell started w/10% ethanol around 2 years ago-it had to do with the federal ban on MBTE and meeting federal emission standards. AFAIK no stations in OH have 100% gas any longer (another reason to go diesel!).

Well they don't show it on the pumps.
21.gif

21.gif

It depends what the laws of your state are.
In NC, they don't have to notify customers of ethanol unless the amount is 10% or greater, if I remember correctly. If they do, it is voluntary.

In FL they are required to display how much ethanol is in their fuel. The problem is everyone has it. One or two stations in my county that have "real" gas.

As for top tier: I would rather get my gas at a very busy 7-11 than a Chevron that is overpriced, out of the way and see's 5 customers a day.PERIOD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnPb
Read the Top Tier gas website carefully and you will find that the gas is required to contain 8% to 10% ethanol.

To be fair, read carefully and you'll see that the requirements you are referencing specifically say this is applicable for the testing methods to meet the performance spec. Doesn't appear to explicitly state that the commercially sold gasoline MUST contain these amounts of ethanol.

Just something to think about...

The lowest gas price in So Cal is Costco and Sams Club, other than these two Arco is lower than other brand name gas but they don't accept Credit Cards. All other brand names gas price is about the same, some area Shell is lower and some other area Chevron is lower. I buy gas mostly at these stations if the price is similar in order: Chevron, Shell, 76, Texaco, Mobil.

True, but it would be a little dishonest to advertise that your gas complies with the Top Tier requirements (i.e. testing) but the gas that you sell isn't the same composition as that tested.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
If you don't want ethanol in your gas, you probably don't want "Top Tier" gas. Read the Top Tier gas website carefully and you will find that the gas is required to contain 8% to 10% ethanol.

You are the one that needs to read the Top Tier gas website carefully. You are reading about the "test fuel" to be used to demonstrate the effectiveness of the detergents. NOTHING requires Top Tier gas sold at the pump to contain ethanol.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

21.gif

Legally, they do not have to post if gas has ethanol in Ohio (another casualty of the Taft Administration.) Sometimes they will post ethanol ( saw a sticker at a GE Get Go station the other day) In my area, about the only place that one can go to get ethanol-free fuel are the marinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back