2011 Dodge HEMI - Which Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually a business truck, and I ended up going to Valvoline Instant Oil Change, due to the 15% off fleet discount we receive. The discount made it cheaper than Wal-Mart's price. I went with Durablend 5W-20 this round to see how I liked it. I may go with Synpower next time.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Plenty of conventional 5W-20 oils out there.

Now 0w-20 USED to be synthetic only. Nowadays, there are blends that are 0W-20.

I wonder why Xw-20 is needed for proper operation of the multiple displacement as that's largely a computer operation, cutting off fuel and spark to four cylinders when manifold vacuum is high.

There are special lifters on the cylinders that are deactivated when MDS kicks on. The lifters have a pin that is moved via oil pressure which allows the lifter to collapse into itself and not be raised up by the cam lobe. There are solenoids that open upon a signal from the computer and allow the oil through special galleries to reach the lifters. That part of MDS all operates off oil pressure and flow and needs a 20 weight to properly activate and function. The fuel and spark part of it are computer controlled but there is a mechanical part to MDS that relies on oil to properly function.

If you are going to a Valvoline quick lube place , Valvoline Durablend is a quality oil which would work well. You might however want to find out what kind of filter they use at that place and bring in your own like a Wix or Purolator if the ones they use are a Fram or Fram knockoff, Kinda pointless to have a top tier oil with poor filter IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back