Purolator Pureone Grit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on my reading here that Frams are junk, I went and bought 2 pureone filters today, the equiv. of the PH3600 (20195) for my Mustang 3.8 and equiv. of the PH8A / FL1A (L30001) for the wife's Grand Cherokee WK. I am hoping that I can stuff the 30001 on the WK's 4.7. I was using the Mopar filter on this (equiv. to the PH16) but upon inspection it looks like it's a Fram. Thought I'd go with the larger filter, bigger can't hurt, right? We'll see if I need to go to the smaller 14670 pureone. I was thinking I'd get the Motorcraft FL400S, but it's smaller than the Fram 3600 and Purolator 20195 so I went with the Purone. Also picked up PP, I'm switching the WK over to PP from Syntec. I found that the Syntec doesn't meet the Mopar spec and the PP does. Almost went with PU, but for 5K OCI's, what's the sense?

Anyway, to the point, I get these new filters home and take a good look at them. Purolator coats them with an orange dust for grip. The thing is, the grit is on the matting surface, metal and gasket and loose in the bottom of the box. Im not to thrilled my the dust, I'm worried it'll get in the engine. Anyone else out there observe this? Any thoughts?

--Stemmy--

So (forgive my ignorance) but does an oil filter filter from the inside out or from the outside in?

Originally Posted By: Stemmy

So (forgive my ignorance) but does an oil filter filter from the inside out or from the outside in?

From the "outside in". It flows through the smaller holes on the outside of the base. That flows through the filtering material, then into the center and back to the engine.

Filtered oil comes out through the center hole and heads for the engine. If I see ANYTHING in there I vacuum it out or if on the threads I carefully wipe. That stuff on this new style Pure One has bugged me from the beginning. They are great filters though so I'm learning to live with it.

This was a complaint on the AA branded "Total Grip" filters too, made by purolator with fuzzy paint and all. Oddly I've had a bunch of those filters in the 3600/20195 size and never noticed grit overspray.

If there was grit all over the mating surface of the filter and loose inside the box, then i would have returned it , or called purolator about it and not used it.

I use the gritty Pure One on one of my bikes. I never noticed any loose grit or any grit on the mating surface. The ones I have, I have had for a few years though. Bought and stocked up on them back then on a sale. I think I still have 4 or 5 left.
Seems I read some time ago on one of the bike forums that someone said they have the same as you describe. Don't really recall anymore details. Wouldn't hurt to take it back though.
[add] Some also said to stop using it on my bike because it's not only not bike specific, but there could be problems regards to the pressure spec., something about the bypass. But I haven't had any problems. Guess maybe they want me to pay more for their bike specific filters, I dunno. Many use it for their bikes. Guess none of this would apply to cars/trucks.

Last edited:
I've noticed it before, don't think it's anything to worry about. I did a UOA w/ a Pureone and Schaeffer's oil on the Ranger and it came back fantastic!

Originally Posted By: Stemmy
Based on my reading here that Frams are junk, I went and bought 2 pureone filters today, the equiv. of the PH3600 (20195) for my Mustang 3.8 and equiv. of the PH8A / FL1A (L30001) for the wife's Grand Cherokee WK. I am hoping that I can stuff the 30001 on the WK's 4.7. I was using the Mopar filter on this (equiv. to the PH16) but upon inspection it looks like it's a Fram. Thought I'd go with the larger filter, bigger can't hurt, right? We'll see if I need to go to the smaller 14670 pureone. I was thinking I'd get the Motorcraft FL400S, but it's smaller than the Fram 3600 and Purolator 20195 so I went with the Purone. Also picked up PP, I'm switching the WK over to PP from Syntec. I found that the Syntec doesn't meet the Mopar spec and the PP does. Almost went with PU, but for 5K OCI's, what's the sense?

Anyway, to the point, I get these new filters home and take a good look at them. Purolator coats them with an orange dust for grip. The thing is, the grit is on the matting surface, metal and gasket and loose in the bottom of the box. Im not to thrilled my the dust, I'm worried it'll get in the engine. Anyone else out there observe this? Any thoughts?

--Stemmy--

The Mopar MO-090 filter isn't a Fram, I believe it's a Purolator

You must have gotten some older yellow PureOne filters. What is the date code on them? The newer ones do not shed the grippy yellow grit like the older ones did.

Some of the newer yellow PureOne filters do occasionally have some yellow over spray on the base and gasket groove. I remove the gasket and clean the over spray off with carb cleaner spayed onto a Q-tip ... then reinsert the gasket into the groove.

Purolator should only put the grippy stuff on the dome end of the filter like Fram. Not endorsing Fram, just the grippy part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back