Hankook I Pike or General Altimax Arctic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Hankook IB 300s were great, a speed-rated snow. Altimax Artic are good too, a knock-off of a Conti snow, iirc.

I have a set of Hankook W409 iPikes for my '91 Volvo 740. It goes through snow like a mountain goat with them on it.

We put hankook's w409 on our 96 caravan....SWEET tires, they go through anything, including 6" of goopy mud that we get down our long road home.

I've got a set of W409 I-Pikes on my '97 Explorer and it now drives like its on rails in the snow. A little low frequency rumble, but its a snow tire. They were inexpensive and were worth every penny I paid for them and I'd easily recommend them. No experience with the Generals though.

just had our first snow/slush here, Very Happy with the generals.
They Have great traction, and even more importantly they make my jeep stop on a dime!

I would highly recommend them

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My Hankook IB 300s were great, a speed-rated snow. Altimax Artic are good too, a knock-off of a Conti snow, iirc.

It is not a knock-off of a Conti tires. Since Continental AG owns General Tires as well as Gislaved, the General Altimax Arctic are relabeled Gislaved Nord Frost 3.

The Hankook Icebear W300 can't be compared to the iPike nor the Altimax Arctic, because the Icebear isn't designed for deeper snow like the iPike and Altimax Arctic due to both tread pattern & tread compounds

Thanks.
The DTR price for Hankooks ($102) is much more than TR price ($83) for Altimax Arctics....(225/60/16)

Sometimes I wonder if i should just put on a good set of all-seasons ( I am in NC, not a mountain area, where we do get some snow, and I have a badly/not paved small road to pass before getting to paved Hwys) and try it out...
The only reason I am considering snow tires this winter is, now I have to work and the commute is 1 hr. And they will expect me to come in.
Last yr and before, I only had to get to school, which was only a 5 min drive max . I could have even walked...so I never felt the need for snow tires or that I had to drive...

Now it's different. I need to be pretty much 100% sure that I can get to work...

And of course the Tbird, my to-be snow beater, is RWD...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Now it's different. I need to be pretty much 100% sure that I can get to work...

And of course the Tbird, my to-be snow beater, is RWD...

This right there would make me want to get the best possible tires to handle the worst conditions that you are going to encounter (unpaved snow covered roads). RWD is safe as long as you have proper tires, but otherwise it can be no fun. IMO, getting winter rubber would be a safer (for you an others) and more reliable solution.

If you plan on keeping those tires on the Tbird all year long, you may want to look into all-weather tires that are geared more towards winter performance but can still handle warm weather OK, such as Nokian WR. They're more expensive, but at least you don't have to bother with two sets of tires.

Then again, I guess it depends on just how much snow you get... if we're talking about light dusting, less than 1" accumulation and temps typically above freezing, then maybe dedicated winters are overkill... i dunno.

I'm running the AAs on a 2006 Subaru Forester. We got 4 inches of wet snow Saturday which melted for about three hours. Immediately after that, the temp dropped and we got about 8 inches of fine drifting snow over the ice layer.

Driving in the heavy wet and deep snow the Generals wandered a little bit when driving out of the wheel rut paths. However, on the ice / polished snow roads the thing was a tank! 45 mph without any slippage either accelerating, cornering or braking.

The only problem I had was everyone else seemed to be going about 15 mph slower than I needed to go.

Last edited:
Have not used the 409's, but I have used the cheap RC01's. They are terrible.

I am currently on Altimax Arctic's and I very much like them.

Well mannered ride, excellent noise, and of course great grip in adverse conditions.

I would buy them again if it came down to it.

We're using the Hankook W409 I*Pike studded tires on our FWD Volvo. Great traction. Even my wife, not a brave snow driver, drives these with confidence. Good wet traction when the snow is gone.

It seems that either tire is a good choice for a studded tire.

I have the IPikes on both cars and I think they are great. Sorry no comparison to the Generals though. Very happy with Hankook tires, summers on the G6 are very nice and will probably be replacing the Kumhos on the G5 with them as well when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back