Which one of these tires would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for none of those!

Are you keeping these tires on all year long in Minnesota?

I would recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

conhza.ang.jpg

I am planning on keeping them on all year. We've already got snow on the ground! I won't be getting new tires until Spring though. I wish I could afford to get them now! I will definitely check out those Continental's. They do look very interesting!

If I was to buy a set of tires now or in the next few months, I will consider these tires in your size:

Yokohama AVID ENVigor
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Either tire is good for 4 seasons, both have long tread life with good performance on wet and dry roads and quiet ride. Their prices are reasonable too at around $100 each + shipping from Tirerack.

Well that's 2 votes for the Continental's!

I hate the fact that I can't edit my original post. Here's the tires (with pics) in the order I was considering them...

Yoko 520
yokhhm.ang.jpg

BFG g-Force
mtahh3.ang.jpg

Pirelli P6
pirhhf.ang.jpg

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Stay away from the P6, it is an OEM tire with little to no traction.

I had P6 on my saab as an OE tire. They went through snow so well I was amazed. My complaint was noise after a while... and poor UV resistance - after 5 years and about 50k they showed cracking... but had at least 50% of their tread left.

Check out the warranty. All other things equal,you want the tire with the longest warranty. Buy from a dealer that offers free rotations,stay in warranty compliance,and get a pro rated credit if the tire wears out early.

I think the Yoko's have the best warranty. That's one of the main reasons I'm considering them the most.

The Continental's do look cool. A little more expensive then the others. I'll have to check out the Bridgestone 960.

Last edited:
As others have stated, the P6 is not a very good tire. It's average, at best. If it was me, I'd go for the Yokohama Avid Envigor in your size. If the surveys at tirerack are to be believed, it's at the top of the heap for all season tires and relatively cheap.

Yokohama Avid Envigor

If you are planning to buy from DT, watch out for rebate this week. They usually have $100 rebate on any 4 tires for the Thanksgiving week.

Before go to DT, searching for the lowest possible price from internet sites, print a copy and take it to DT to ask for matching price(if they don't have the $100 rebate going on). If they have the rebate, then they do not price match.

I'd skip the YK520's. Had set on an Altima, barely got 30K treadwear in average style driving. DT gave me a nice treadwear credit, and bought BFG Traction TA's.

Of the three you listed, first choice would be the BFG g-Force SS. They were a finalist as OE replacements on an Accord. Got the Conti DWS because of a great DT promo price. Had it not been for that my likely choice would have been the new Yoko Avid ENVigors.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Stay away from the P6, it is an OEM tire with little to no traction.

I had P6 on my saab as an OE tire. They went through snow so well I was amazed. My complaint was noise after a while... and poor UV resistance - after 5 years and about 50k they showed cracking... but had at least 50% of their tread left.

The same tire OE on my inlaw's Camry V6 has no traction on any wet surface. It could be a different formula than yours.

I moved here from Europe just a few years ago and over there the P6 was considered pretty much the ultimate tire, mainly used by BMW, MB and Alfa Romeo. Not sure if the design is just completely outdated by modern standards, or if the european P6 is a completely different design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back