Brown ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've looked at a couple Cherokee Sports this past week, and both had brown transmission fluid, which I've never seen before. I poked around on the internet, and Chrysler TSB 21-014-07 says ATF+4 turns brown:
Quote:
Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

The Sport I looked at today is a 2000 with 148k on it; the ATF was brown, but it looked clean. Is that sufficient to consider the trans OK?

Novaman, welcome back after a year.

Fluid can be changed. More importantly, how well does the vehicle shift?

Thanks for the welcome back; I didn't realize it had been a year since I posted!
It must have shifted OK since I didn't think "boy, this is shifting funny..."

Those Aisin Warner trannies are good. But I'd def try and bargain them down. There are some bozos that buy SUVs for the "extra toughness" because they know they can't count on themselves for maintenance.

If the fluid is brown and smells burnt...run away. Otherwise just change it with pan drops with HM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Some manufactures (don't remember which) say light brown is OK IF it doesn't smell burnt.

+1 Transmission fluid can change color, smell is a better indication as Eddie mentioned.

Yeah, I figure I'll switch it over to Dexron if I buy it, which I'm seriously thinking I will.

I would never purchase ANY car that had brown atf fluid. That is the first indication that the previous owner didn't even keep up with the tranny maintenance. All atf fluid turns brown when it's spent. To each it's own.

Yeah, but when regular ATF turns brown, it's full of clutches and bands. This isn't.

Edit: I'm not saying I'm an ATF genius, I'm just saying this is what I have observed.

Last edited:
The AW4 tranny in those XJs is pretty durable. As long as the fluid doesn't smell burnt, looks clear-ish, and the tranny shifts fine, it's probably OK. Just give it fresh fluid when you get it.

Well, I ended up buying it, and I just started driving it today.
Any recommendations on which brand of fluid to get?

Some manufacturers will say anything to hide their failures. The ATF color comments is one of them.

If it takes ATF+4, then exchange the old ATF for any name brand ATF+4 from your local stores.

If it takes Dexron, then any full synthetic should be considered. You have plenty to choose from. Valvoline Maxlife and Amalie are probably the cheapest. Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Redline... are top notch if you don't mind the cost.

Smell usually is a good indicator, I always went by color too. ATF does lose its color, but burnt smelly fluid is burnt smelly fluid. Test drive it check all shift points. Look for delays going into drive and reverse. Then hold your left foot on the brake with it in drive, right foot pressing down on the gas, she should want to lurch forward. Repeat using Reverse. You'll know it it is slipping or not.

If it passes the above tests, change the fluid and filter, clean the pan, do a fluid, exchange or extractions until all fluid is clean. Fill it up, add some Lubgard Red and enjoy the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Some manufacturers will say anything to hide their failures. The ATF color comments is one of them.

If it takes ATF+4, then exchange the old ATF for any name brand ATF+4 from your local stores.

If it takes Dexron, then any full synthetic should be considered. You have plenty to choose from. Valvoline Maxlife and Amalie are probably the cheapest. Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Redline... are top notch if you don't mind the cost.
Since the trans was originally designed for Dexron III, I'm inclined to use that, and MaxLife sounds appealing...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Smell usually is a good indicator, I always went by color too. ATF does lose its color, but burnt smelly fluid is burnt smelly fluid. Test drive it check all shift points. Look for delays going into drive and reverse. Then hold your left foot on the brake with it in drive, right foot pressing down on the gas, she should want to lurch forward. Repeat using Reverse. You'll know it it is slipping or not.

If it passes the above tests, change the fluid and filter, clean the pan, do a fluid, exchange or extractions until all fluid is clean. Fill it up, add some Lubgard Red and enjoy the vehicle.
When I put it in gear, it grabs right away. It also shifts firmly, so I don't think it's slipping. Is this Lubegard Red?
item1_lg.jpg

Why do you recommend using Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back