HDEO in my bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Infumus
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Some bikes really like the Rotella. i.e. they shift nice, etc.

I just installed Rotella 15W-40 last week on my 09 R6, for me this stuff is better than the premium moto oil that I had on there before. I will never go back to paying $40-$50+ per oil change.

Congratulations. Many never seem to learn that lesson. Excellent oil doesn't have to be expensive.

I use Rotella T6 5w40 in my 2008 Victory vision. im on my 2nd oci using this oil and so far its been great! and way cheaper than those MC oils.

I run nothing but Rotella T6 in my Honda Helix. Before that I ran the Rotella T 5w40. I've never had a problem with either oil, nor have I ever had an engine failure.

Great oil at a good price. If it works, don't fix it!

I just put some new T6 in the Honda, I have not ridden it enough yet to notice a difference from the old stuff.

This is the first bike I have had in 15 years without a back cut transmission, so it always seems to shift poorly.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
fyi

Quote:
Here are the differences between diesel engine oil and gasoline engine oil. In a modern diesel engine there is substantial exhaust soot contamination that the engine oil must contend with. Diesel oil is designed with much higher levels of detergency and dispersency to fight the soot contamination. Like ZDDP anti-wear chemistry, detergents are a surface active chemistry and compete directly for space on metal surfaces, such as the cam lobe and lifter face. So, in practice, the effective level of Zinc anti-wear is a bit lower than what we expect it to be based solely on chemical analysis. Additionally, the ZDDP that is generally used in diesel formulas is primary ZDDP (which activates at higher engine temperatures) since a diesel engine runs predominantly at operating temperature. In a gasoline engine, we must have both primary and secondary ZDDP (which activates at lower temperatures) since the engine will experience a significant number of cold starts. Also, the viscosity modifier polymers that are used in multi-viscosity engine oil to prevent viscosity loss at operating temperature (to protect the bearings) are different for diesel oil and gasoline oil. Diesels operate at essentially the same rpm all day long and need polymers that are shear stable to protect the bearings. Gasoline engines experience many large ranges of rpm during operation and require polymers that have both shear stability and thickening efficiency capability to protect the bearings.

Ok if this is true then why do the VOAs show that some mc or pcmo oils have detergency similar to diesel engine oils.

If there was a significant difference you would expect it to show up in UOAs with wear metals. It doesn't - why?

I'm still using Rotella on one of my bikes. I switched first to the Rotella 15w-40. About 2 springs ago, I switched to 5w-40 synthetic. Last spring, the oil change was 5w-40 T-6. I haven't noticed any clutch issues. I didn't ride that bike much this year either.
I usually ride all year and change oils each spring. But the bike with the Rotella just didn't get out much this year. I try and ride it at least monthly. Since it has been sitting so much, I'll probably scoot it up on a sale this spring just to get rid of it since the wife won't make any attempt to try and ride it.
Such a waste, an 07 bought off the dealer floor in 08 new, low miles, glittery white.... When I thought maybe it would be a good starter for her to learn, I learned I thought wrong.
I guess it will stay 2-up riding. I waited long enough, and as usual, she wont budge.
But I have had no Rotella issues on that bike. It has about 7k on the clock, and most of that is on Rotella. Filter is Purolator Pure One.
I'm using Amsoil on the Harley, but it's a 20w-50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back