Valvoline Synpower 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general opinion concerning using Valvoline Synpower 20w50 (under $5 a qt.) as an affordable alternative to Amsoil and Mobil 1 V Twin? I am currently using Mobil 1 15w50 and changing oil twice as often in my air cooled bikes.....

Half the price and changing twice as often. Hmm, I would rather use the good stuff for a longer time. The synpower is a good oil, but will not have near as high antiwear additives as the bike specific oils. I don't think you will hurt anything using the synpower, but not sure you'll accomplish much except changing your oil twice as often, and with that many bikes to change oil on, I would go for the better oil. JMO

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Half the price and changing twice as often. Hmm, I would rather use the good stuff for a longer time. The synpower is a good oil, but will not have near as high antiwear additives as the bike specific oils. I don't think you will hurt anything using the synpower, but not sure you'll accomplish much except changing your oil twice as often, and with that many bikes to change oil on, I would go for the better oil. JMO

Yep if it doent have a picture of a bike on it, its not good enough.
whistle.gif

I don't know if Mobil is the same oil it used to be. The viscosity of the V-Twin has changed twice since it has been released. It is now very thick. Also the flash points are a fair bit lower, although they are using different ASTM testing methods (93 vs 92) and and haven't had time to see what the difference is.

It also seems that iron is higher with the Mobil than the better dino oils.

Oh, yes as heavyhitter said it hasn't got a picture of a motorcycle on it so it can't be any good.

Whats with guys having uoa's done on their oil,the results come back saying go longer, then still changing them out at 2500 miles? After all that's known here you still don't believe oil can last the whole factory recommended oci?.,,

I am the last person to think that if it does not have a motorcycle picture it is not a good oil for a motorcycle. I am basing my comments on the fact that his bikes could benefit from the higher antiwear additive levels that are found in the bike-specific oils, plus the fact that he can safely go much longer on those oils as an added benefit, at least as perceived by me. Synpower and Maxlife are decent oils with enough viscosity, but are not as strong in the antiwear and detergency additive levels. They will do fine for everyday use and normal service intervals.

Unless you just really need a 50-wt. it's hard to beat the add pack and anti-wear additives found in a good HDEO. While I prefer Rotella T or T6, i've used Delvac and Delo with great success as well.

This might be another case of spending way too much on a motorcycle-specific oil when a good HDEO will perform just as well if not better - but at half the price.

Thanks for all the advice! The Harley NEEDS 50WT.due to a hot running Twin Cam motor running in Central Texas heat and the BMW is pretty toasty as well,routinely hitting 270 degree oil temps. I have so many bikes and cars that the bikes have been getting oil changes at 18 months which is usually only 1,500 miles approx.-filters every other time. The old Honda gets HDEO,by the way. I just can not get behind the idea of dumping $10 a qt. M/C oil at 1500 miles! I might be able to go 2 years but I have seen the old OCI warning "must be changed at 12 month intervals,regardless of mileage" so many times that I feel as if I am stretching it a bit going 18 months......

Someone here had a IIRC 7 year old UOA that came up good. I think the problem with leaving it longer than the recommended OCI is if the oil is contaminated with somethng that may accelerate its breakdown.

Valvoline VR1 20w50 turns out some real good numbers here for hot running Harleys and it is cheap relatively.

Think you would find it hard to beat except for over the top 3-4 times the price MC specific synthetics that Sunruh has on the top of his list. ANd that would likely only be on viscosity retention maybe and slightly longer OCI. Wear metals look similar according to the UOAs on this site.

Last edited:
Wow! That VR1 does look good.....I assume that it is synth. Wonder how it would do in my oilhead? My Triumph twin has a trans that shares oil with the motor like a ricer. I could only find posts relating to one Harley. This seems to be a great undiscovered affordable oil for bikes. Seems to be a better choice than the M 1 15w50 that I am currently using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I am basing my comments on the fact that his bikes could benefit from the higher antiwear additive levels that are found in the bike-specific oils, plus the fact that he can safely go much longer on those oils as an added benefit, at least as perceived by me.

You can look at "bike" oils such as Honda G4, Yamalube, Valvoline Motorcycle, and Castrol 4T, and they dont have really a better add package as found in your average 10w40 "car" oil. go to the VOA and UAO sections and see for yourself.

I'd use Brad Penn if it were easier to get. It's almost like buying amsoil. It's not for sale everywhere,and I'm not into paying shipping charges then having to wait for it to show up.Much easier to buy oil at the local auto stores.,,

I'll by trying the Valvoline MC 20W50 at the next oil change- Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 at $9.49 is a bit rough when the Valvoline is $3.99.

The other thing I noticed- with the Mobil 1 V Twin sometimes the shifting is very notchy- sometimes, smooth as silk. It makes no sense. One or the other does- just not the intermittent notchyness.

Mobil have changed the V-Twin viscosity and there are a whole lot of other ratings that don't match the old PDS.

VI is down.
Pour point is up.
Flash point is down.

Looks to me that it may not be their super dooper base oil anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back