Michelin Destiny - what is your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed Michelin Destiny tires on my 05 Honda Accord and am not at all happy with them so far.

I had asked advice from fellow BITOG'ers before buying and these tires were not amongst the tires recommended and I am now paying the price for not listening.

There is a separate thread about that, but I decided to start a new thread, just to get feedback on these particular tires.

The tires are noisy and the car seems disconnected from the road, handling is nervous compared to the previous Kumho's

I am not sure if these tires are just not very well suited for my particular car, or if it could be an inflation issue or what.

I would really appreciate input from members who have Micheling Destiny tires on your vehicle. What is your experience?

Tire Rack and Michelin.ca both seem to think that your car should have an H-rated tire, but maybe they're wrong because they also think you should be using a 195/65R15. Were your previous tires only T-rated too? An H-rated tire would likely provide much better handling. I'd also expect a tire with a 740 treadlife rating to have poor wet traction.

You can take them back to Discount Tire within 30 days of purchase and exchange for another tire at no charge.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
You can take them back to Discount Tire within 30 days of purchase and exchange for another tire at no charge.

FZ1, do you have personal experience with this? What I was able to find on their website seem to say that you can return within 30 days, but tires must not be driven on? Sucks!

Should be no problem. Take them back.

Get a set of Yokohama Avid Envigors or Michelin Primacy MXV4s instead. Have them pricematch TireRack + shipping too, as Discount Tire's prices are high.

These share a carcass with the Michelin Harmony, right? People seem to think highly of the Harmony--at least as far as an S/T-rated tire goes. It sounds like it's not the right tire for your application.

Yes, it's not the appropriate tire for the application. The Destiny/Harmony/X Radial/WeatherWise II are all essentially the same tire. They're very good passenger all season tires, but they're just that: passenger all season tires. The Honda Accord is supposed to have a V-rated grand touring tire.

Originally Posted By: sr17
I recently installed Michelin Destiny tires on my 05 Honda Accord and am not at all happy with them so far.

I had asked advice from fellow BITOG'ers before buying and these tires were not amongst the tires recommended and I am now paying the price for not listening.

There is a separate thread about that, but I decided to start a new thread, just to get feedback on these particular tires.

The tires are noisy and the car seems disconnected from the road, handling is nervous compared to the previous Kumho's

I am not sure if these tires are just not very well suited for my particular car, or if it could be an inflation issue or what.

I would really appreciate input from members who have Micheling Destiny tires on your vehicle. What is your experience?

I have owned several sets of Destinys on 97-98 vintage Camrys and was very pleased. Recently I bought a set of P4s for the 97 Camry because that is what was on sale at the time. When the Destiny went on sale shorty afterward, I was initially disappointed. Now I've decided that the P4 is at least as good a tire. I would go back to Discount tire, explain what is bothering you and ask them for a recommendation. When they first started saying that it was important to match the speed rating of replacement tires to the OEM tire, I thought it was hogwash aimed at upselling. Maybe that's the problem you're experiencing, because the Destiny is fundamentally a good tire. Discount tire is first rate, they will help you find a solution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sr17
Originally Posted By: FZ1

FZ1, do you have personal experience with this? What I was able to find on their website seem to say that you can return within 30 days, but tires must not be driven on? Sucks!

They will definitely take them back. Here is a link to their return policy. If there is a Discount Tire store that would not work to satisfy you, it will be news to me.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoRefund.jsp

Take them back. For once listen to us (BITOGs)
smile.gif

Discount took mine back and they had 1000 miles on them. Don't ask them......,TELL,them the tires are too loud,unlike what they told you,when you bought them. Make a decision as to which tire you want before you drive in. Go back to the Kuhmo tire that was acceptable to you. The most comfortable tire I have run on my Accord was the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread. Cons are it may reduce mpg by 1-2 mpg,soft handling,and lower tread wear. My last CTs only lasted 30k. It has an 80k warranty so 30/80 is my warranty proration. They applied over $200 to my next set of tires. Feel free to ask more questions. Hope this helps.

FZ1, I might have the alignment checked on your Accord. You said the Destiny tires were excessively loud, and you ran through an 80k mile tire in only 30k miles. Seems like you may have an issue going on here independent of the tires.

Thanks,alignment is fine. Tires wore evenly. The Destinys were loud,the Comfort Treads only lasted 30k in City driving and towing my little bass boat. No problem,I got a warranty proration on my next set of tires. The longest a tire has lasted,in my driving,was 45k from the Michelins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back