Corrosion Free 3000?

Hey all,

I've been looking for an undercoating product to spray the undercarriage of my car for the winter. I live in the salty New England area and noticed that the new ice melting chemical used by Connecticut is causing a lot of corrosion on my cars. I've looked at a few different products but the "oil" based coatings do not seem too prevailant in the US compared to Canada.

Does anyone have experience with Corrosion Free's products? I guess there have been a few different renditions of the chemicals that they use (1000, 2000, now 3000 with CSC850). I have been searching online, but I can only find more information on Krown and Rustcheck (not much on corrosion free).

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching this site with google as well and did not find much.

Jason

The outfit I worked for would apply spray-on truck bed liner to the underbodies since 03' and the stuff holds up real good.

Any of the oil based rust proofing sprays work fine, the trick is that you need to start from a new car, and have it redone every year or two years for the rustproofing to last.

If you already have a rusty car, it may be too late.

I fixed most of the surface rust using Eastwood's rust encapsulator. The paint has zinc phosphate in it which gives me some hope. I was thinking of spraying the oil spray in the voids of the chassis where I really cannot prep the metal for a coat of paint. Thanks for the responses.

I started to use Corrosiox HD in bulk form with a separate sprayer for most car work earlier this year. The Formula 3000 looks very impressive in one test result I came across, and soon started looking for some state-side sources for it.

Here in Michigan we have (1) Quik-lube type place in Ann Arbor that offers it, but I prefer to do my own applications. (Just takes me 4x longer to get it done! LOL)

On balance, it's an excellent material choice - but the application technique can make or break it.

I have had my two cars done with the Corrosion free 3000, this fall, does not drip as much as others, seems to soak into the metal, how will it last ? time will will tell.

Update:

I ended up buying a few cans of the Corrosion Free 3000 to try it out. I bought it off their website and I guess they ship it directly from Canada. The first thing I did was spray a rusty rotor that I have sitting around my garage. It is my test platform I like to use to test out rust products. The first thing I noticed was that it sprays out like the product is aerated by the nozzle. As it hits the surface of the metal, it bubbles for a little bit. After the bubbles die down, the product sets up in a very soft gel form. It appears to be very light in viscosity but it does not drip at all. The consistency is hard to explain, but the rotor looks almost like it doesn't have anything on it unless you touch it.

When it stops raining I'll start to apply it on to the undercarriage and see how it holds up.

Just wanted to post an email sent by someone from the company when i sent a bunch of questions. i just deleted the name of the person that responded to me. So I guess this is all the information the company is willing to give out. Hope it helps anyone looking in to this product. BTW, I am not affiliated with Corrosion Free. Just a curious person.

"Thanks for your interest in Corrosion Free.

The product was released in 1996. It is still the leading edge of
technology when it comes to rustproofing. It is not a wax and does
not trap moisture.

The product is an oil based. It does not dry out. The product is
thin enough to creep into seams, but has a static to it that allows it
so stay on and not drip off. It will not block drain holes.

It is safe for rubber, wiring and plastic harnesses. It does not
contain solvents and is toxic free.

Krown is a product that is also oil based. The main difference is the
ability of our product to stay on the vehicle. This means better and
longer protection. In independant test, our product has outperformed
Krown on a consistant basis.

The products stays the same consistency - there is a slight change in
colder weather, but not noticable.

Thanks again,
XXX
Corrosion Free"

Update:

With the cold weather and snow in the forecast I went ahead and sprayed most of my undercarriage with the Corrosionfree. It was kinda messy as the product would drip a little after the area was saturated. It seems to penetrate preexisting rust very aggressively. The oil is also very tenacious and slippery. I ended up using 3 aerosol cans just spraying the wheel wells and the undercarriage. It gives the parts a nice clear shine (we'll see how long that lasts).

When I tested out the spray initially on the rusty rotor I have, I sprayed the eastwood rust encapsulator on it before spraying the corrosion free on top of the paint. I just wanted to make sure the oil spray didn't affect the paint. So far the paint doesn't seem to be affected at all by the corrosion free (good news). If everything holds up well throughout the winter, I think I found my ideal undercoating product for my cars.

I have been using this product on my 4Runner. It's sold at Canadian Tire under the Rust Cure label for $11.99 , 2 cans does my entire truck (undercarriage, wheel wells, under hood, door drains).

The bubbly gel it leaves behind really sticks and bonds to the metal, leaving a nice shine once all the excess has dripped off. It lasts a good while, I haven't had to re-apply yet after 6 months.

Don't get it on any exhaust parts it will smoke for a good while.

I've used Krown for years on other vehicles and have tried Fluid Film , the Corrossion Free is the best bang for the buck and the cheapest of the three. I'll be re-applying it after the winter.

Originally Posted By: silvert4r
I've used Krown for years on other vehicles and have tried Fluid Film , the Corrossion Free is the best bang for the buck and the cheapest of the three. I'll be re-applying it after the winter.
In the U.S.A. I find Fluid Film to be the cheapest per gallon, but I'd still be inclined to suggest the Formula 3000 over the FF for general use - provided one can locate a ready source for it.

My needs and preferences differ a bit, but I'd eventually like to try some of it in spray gear. Anyway, I think the OP is on the right track.

It's a GREAT product. We use it on our fleet of state plows and it's completely exceeded all formal testing and on road performance. Nothing else works as well for lasting corrosion protection, that we've found. Each truck can do about 50t of salt a shift, continually running the same road in the spray. These trucks will come back, after a 5-6 back to back shifts never being shut off, completely white with salt over 12" thick in a lot of places. Yet in the critical places we've sprayed the components are still coated. Even holds up well to the heated pressure washer, most gets blown off but you can still feel the film there. Try it out for yourself.

Thanks for the info. I'm using Fluidfilm on my truck this year. I also tried a can of LPS3 which seems to bond very aggressively to metal. I got a friend that has luck spraying any used motor or tranny fluid.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Thanks for the info. I'm using Fluidfilm on my truck this year. I also tried a can of LPS3 which seems to bond very aggressively to metal. I got a friend that has luck spraying any used motor or tranny fluid.

bump. anyon else like corrosionfree? according a study done by the canadian military, corrsionfree is better than krown and rustcheck.

http://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/p526285.pdf

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Canadian Tire uses it exclusively when they do rustproofing on vehicles.

So long as it doesn't clog the drainholes.

Back