Tecumseh Snow King. . .Ready for winter. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ffracer
I have a Craftsman 24" 5.5 hp Tecumseh that's from 2006 new. Works great.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum syn 10W-30 before each season. Is this good to use? No deposits? Seems to run like new.

A 0W30 or 5W30 would be a better choice, especially if you can find it in an API SL oil. GC 0w30 would be a very good choice, since you are already using a synthetic oil.

?- Do all Tecumseh engines found on snow-blowers carry the "snow king" badge? My Krapsman has one on it but I don't see any reference to snow king.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
?- Do all Tecumseh engines found on snow-blowers carry the "snow king" badge? My Krapsman has one on it but I don't see any reference to snow king.

The Snow King was the name of the Tecumseh L head engines of various horse power ratings. As far as I know, all of the Tecumseh snow engines were Snow Kings. Possibly the very early models didn't use the name but were essentially the same engines.

As a rule, if the oil level was kept up in the Snow King engines, they'd easily outlast the machines they were mounted on. I went through two Craftsman snow throwers in twenty years and the Tecumseh engines never missed a beat and didn't consume oil. Their technology might have been a bit dated but they are an extremely durable engine.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Just finicky as [censored].

That may have been your experience. I know lots of mechanically challenged people who own them and they've never had a problem with them.

You may have had one with a bad carb.

I`d take a briggs any day over those friggin things. Their not a bad motor, but their carbs suck more than air.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Just finicky as [censored].

That may have been your experience. I know lots of mechanically challenged people who own them and they've never had a problem with them.

You may have had one with a bad carb.

I am mechanically challeged and until I found out I needed to drain the Carb in the spring, I too thoght the carb was a weak link. But, since then it starts with one pull after sitting over the summer every winter. Best engine I have on the ranch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back