Status
Not open for further replies.
The sport has a manly scent, meant to attract female bitogers
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The sport has a manly scent, meant to attract female bitogers
smile.gif

Yep....has that "swagger" additive!

Edge Sport (neither of which is commonly found in US) is a Low-SAPS version of Edge.

Edge:
Exceeds API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4
• Approved for VW: 502 00/503 01/ 505 00, MB 229.3/ 229.5, BMW Longlife-01, Porsche

Edge Sport:
EXCEEDS API SM/CF
• SAE 0W-40
• ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C2, C3;
• Approved for VW 502 00/ 503 01/ 505 00; MB-APPROVAL 229.31/ 229.51;
PORSCHE approved, all PORSCHE vehicles except Cayenne (V6); BMW Longlife-04 (refer to vehicle manual);

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Edge Sport (neither of which is commonly found in US) is a Low-SAPS version of Edge.

So It's a cleaner version of Edge, thus better?

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Where can I get this stuff stateside for my 911???

It's not available in North America. It is in UK though.

Eh.. I've decided to go with Mobil 1 0w-40 for the BMW straight 6 3-liter Naturally Aspirated engine, N52. I'll try the Edge next time. Castrol may be better than Mobil 1 though I fear, as BMW does extensive research with Castrol for their vehicles. And I hear that Mobil 1 makes an engine sound noisier than the Edge. But Mobil 1 is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Clean_Engine

So It's a cleaner version of Edge, thus better?

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Where can I get this stuff stateside for my 911???

It's not available in North America. It is in UK though.

Eh.. I've decided to go with Mobil 1 0w-40 for the BMW straight 6 3-liter Naturally Aspirated engine, N52. I'll try the Edge next time. Castrol may be better than Mobil 1 though I fear, as BMW does extensive research with Castrol for their vehicles. And I hear that Mobil 1 makes an engine sound noisier than the Edge. But Mobil 1 is cheaper.

The Edge Sport is necessarily "cleaner" but the additives are more friendly to your emissions system (ACEA C2/C3). The Edge Sport is LL04. In the U.S. I, for my BMW diesel, must use oil which has the LL04 rating to preserve the life of the DPF and the SCR. Petrol powered cars in the U.S. still use oil which has the BMW LL01 rating.

If you require LL01 use the Edge or M1 0w-40, if you require LL04 use the Edge Sport or Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

Last edited:
If you require LL01 use the Edge or M1 0w-40, if you require LL04 use the Edge Sport or Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

I guess I don't "require" LL04 since I've got a gasoline engine and LL01 is approved for the BMW N52 engine, but if LL04 spec oil is cleaner and better for the engine, why not use it? BMW LL04 precedes the requirements of the older LL01, so I'm guessing I won't have any problem using LL04. The only concern is that the lowest cold viscosity rating availabe for Mobil 1 ESP is only 5w. I live in an area that sees cold climate, I'd have to think long and hard what to do.

Originally Posted By: felixthecat
Main difference is that Castrol Edge 0w-40 has been discontinued

I don't think this is true. Edge 0w-40 has never been introduced to North America and Edge has been available for a few years overseas.

Also I thought about using the German Castrol, but its absence of newer "SM" rating put me off.

Last edited:
I just called Castrol and got some more info. Along with Edge and Edge Sport, they also have, though not listed on the website, Edge TurboDiesel. They said if I want the best for a gasoline engine then gotta go with the Edge Sport. But it's ridiculously priced. Priced higher than Amsoil, though Amsoil doesn't have the 0w-40 viscosity. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost over Mobil 1 0w-40. Gotta think long and hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clean_Engine

I guess I don't "require" LL04 since I've got a gasoline engine and LL01 is approved for the BMW N52 engine, but if LL04 spec oil is cleaner and better for the engine, why not use it? BMW LL04 precedes the requirements of the older LL01, so I'm guessing I won't have any problem using LL04. The only concern is that the lowest cold viscosity rating availabe for Mobil 1 ESP is only 5w. I live in an area that sees cold climate, I'd have to think long and hard what to do.

Either will suffice. I would go with the cheaper.

Pour point of M1 ESP 5w-30: -45C.
Pour point of Edge: -54C, cP@-35C 5,800
Edge Sport: -60C, cP@ -35C 5,800

I don't think this is true. Edge 0w-40 has never been introduced to North America and Edge has been available for a few years overseas.

Really? Still available? Can you show me where you can buy some ? I reluctantly changed to Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 as I could not find Castrol Edge 0w-40 for sale any longer

Originally Posted By: felixthecat

Really? Still available? Can you show me where you can buy some ? I reluctantly changed to Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 as I could not find Castrol Edge 0w-40 for sale any longer

Hmm, I guess it depends on a country to country. I just searched the UK castrol site and it's true the UK doesn't sell non sport Edge, but in some Asian countries, they still sell both. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9009694&contentId=7018540
But I guess they indeed are phasing it out. Didn't know that. Well, no point in buying a dated product if they are moving on to the sport edge.

C3 and LL04 is not recommended for gas bmw vehicles.
these oils are not compatible with some gasolines solded
in the u.s.

my post on c3 and LL4 ,not for u.s. models, only applies because of the fuel in the u.s.a.. i looked into different oil choices i would have for my x5m and could'nt get an answer from bmw service. their answer was follow my owners manual.
for my first dealer oil change, they put in the wrong oil.
they assumed TWS 10w60 but the s63 engine calls for BMW 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back