1/2 way through ARX treatment - filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally posted this in the oil filter forum but I think it's more on topic here.

I'm doing an AutoRX treatment on my newly acquired 2007 Entourage and decided to change the filter at the half way point. Based on what I saw in the filter canister when I did the first oil change right after I got the van last month I think this engine was neglected for its last couple of oil changes. The fresh oil the dealer had put in was already doing a good job of cleaning out a lot of junk, having only been in there for about a month with less than 100 miles on it. That's why I decided to do a full ARX treatment.

Halfway through the ARX run there is quite a bit of junk in the filter pleats and a little in the filter canister. When I did the first oil change after getting the van it looked worse than this.

It doesn't really show up in the photos, but I can tell based on the texture and color of the filter media that most of the "cleaning" that ARX does is by solubilizing the gunk. I think that's why Frank recommends a filter change at the halfway point because as the media gets saturated with the goo it gets restrictive enough to cause the filter to run in bypass mode.

ARX01.jpg

ARX02.jpg

ARX03.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. I've always been skeptical of Rx. Looks to be doing something here. I would switch over to M1 High Mileage or some other brand of synthetic for further cleaning. M1 is good for that.

Impressive! I have always had great results using ARX. I dont think its for every engine though. If an engine has been neglected or has seen low quality dino, I think this is really where ARX has some value. I love it for power steering, transmissions and gear boxes. Running mobil 1 HM is a great recommendation when you are done with your rinse phase.

Last edited:
I'm an auto RX fan myself and have had similar findings. I used Auto Rx to clean up a friends GM V6 after it suffered the infamous intake leak and sludged up badly over a couple of years.

Most recently I used it in a friends 170k Civic to reduce oil consumption. Went from using a qt every 500 mi to a qt every 3k mi in one treatment. Good stuff in situations such as this.

I'm going to use 5 qts of regular Valvoline 5w20 + 1 qt of MMO for the rinse phase (sump capacity is 6 qts). After that, I'm going to run Maxlife 5w20.

You may want to consider using 5w30 or at least a quart of 5w30 to offset some of the thinning. Good plan though.

Although winter is here pretty much, I still wouldn't want it to thin too much. Just my opinion though.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I'm going to use 5 qts of regular Valvoline 5w20 + 1 qt of MMO for the rinse phase (sump capacity is 6 qts). After that, I'm going to run Maxlife 5w20.

Chatting with some people via PM that had some good results doing just that. Report back with your results.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
You may want to consider using 5w30 or at least a quart of 5w30 to offset some of the thinning. Good plan though.

Although winter is here pretty much, I still wouldn't want it to thin too much. Just my opinion though.

Have you ever put MMO in your freezer over night? Try it--I think you'll be surprised.

Based on what I saw in the filter canister when I did the first oil change right after I got the van last month I think this engine was neglected for its last couple of oil changes. The fresh oil the dealer had put in was already doing a good job of cleaning out a lot of junk, having only been in there for about a month with less than 100 miles on it.

Unfortunately, these situations are likely to be common when you purchase cars such as older Hyundais. Considering the condition of many older Hyundais on the road, it is apparent that a number of Hyundai owners cannot afford their cars, let alone maintain them properly. When you purchase one of these cars used, I personally feel there's a significantly higher chance that you will be the 2nd owner of a poorly maintained vehicle.

Have you ever put MMO in your freezer over night? Try it--I think you'll be surprised.

That's my point! Adding 1qt of MMO to 5w20 may drop the viscosity out of a 20 grade. That's why I suggest using something like; 4qts 5w20, 1qt 5w30 and 1qt MMO.

What happens? I don't feel like buying some MMO to put in my freezer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It doesn't thicken up.

You've clearly never done it. It DOES thicken up quite a bit.

MMO has a very low VI.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It doesn't thicken up.

You've clearly never done it. It DOES thicken up quite a bit.

MMO has a very low VI.

But is that relevant in SC?

Nope. I had the opportunity to sit two vehicles side by side in -25*F to -30*F temps. They were parked for 3 days w/o starting IIRC. One with M1 5W30, the in the sump, the other with M1 5W30 and a qt of MMO. Want to guess which engine fired up faster, ran, and sounded better? I've added it to my gas tank at 0*F to -5*F here in NY and I don't recall it being much thicker than it normally is. I'll have to take note this winter since I store it in the unheated garage.

Well, MMO has a pour point of -60F I believe. I can't imagine it thickening up. I would think demarpaint's experience would be more realistic as to what MMO does in the cold.

Well, MMO has a pour point of -60F I believe. I can't imagine it thickening up. I would think demarpaint's experience would be more realistic as to what MMO does in the cold.

Based on how much it thickened up in my freezer test, I find a pour point of -60 hard to believe.

I must be missing something, as soon as I read your comments I tossed a qt of MMO in the freezer. It is in there about 11 hours now, same exact consistancy it has at room temperature. Maybe your freezer is a deeper freezer than mine. I never had a problem pouring MMO, and I have close to 30 qts in the garage year round. I've been using it since the 70's and always had it in the garage. The only thing thats changed is now it is in a plastic bottle vs the metal can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back