Mobil Ever Said they Pass IVA Test ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They use tricky wording like we "meet all licensing requirements" which is wide open to interpretation.

Have they ever said "We pass Sequence IVA tests" ?

Quote:
ExxonMobil has confirmed to us that their 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements. This includes passing data in the IVA.

Kevin Ferrick
American Petroleum Institute
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System
1220 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005

Quote:
API tests 600 licensed oils per year to confirm that they meet our requirements. This would include a variety of ExxonMobil products. We don’t merely accept an oil marketer’s word. I can’t really explain why Ashland chose to do what it did, but ExxonMobil has taken steps to confirm its product meets our requirements.

Kevin Ferrick
American Petroleum Institute
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System
1220 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005

No, They had a lab sign a Certficate of Compliance saying they meet it for a small sample - doesnt say ANYTHING about the vast gallonage of flotsam blended prior and hence out in the market (and your sump). API comment about Ashland is telling, ' ...In this exclusive Mens Club, how dare Rodney come in and make a mockery of the nice little thang we got goin here!' I guarantee that some sample(s) of M1 5w-30 SM GF-4 did not pass the seq IVA, as Ashland (and others) have certified independant labs test and the non-conformance notes with affidavit to prove it. Somwhat mooot as I would again (almost) guarantee that the M1 5w-30 you buy today and what you bought last year passed seq. IVA. You have Honda ILSAC approval and HT06 to thank for that guarantee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Since the Sequence IVA test is a requirement for ILSAC GF-3 and GF-4, they pass it.

That could prove it to some extent but only if one know how often one must re-submit to testing. Is this known.

Yup, you missed "it" and nobody's gonna tell
wink.gif

Castrol Edge is advertising every day here on television that they have "eight times better wear protection than Mobil 1", both verbally and in large print on the screen. This has got to be hurting XOM, and their continued silence and lack of legal action only further raises suspicions.

Would love to know the behind-the-scenes story, but we probably never will.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
What did Ashland do? Is there a place to find out the details? I missed it.

Some years ago Ashland sent a letter to ExxonMobil stating that Mobil 1 did not meet API specification for sequence IVA. Mobil never really said if it did meet the spec or not. They issued a statement full of marketing junk that basically said: Mobil 1 rocks. Use it!
thankyou2.gif
They did not really respond. It was a bit odd, IMO. The API basically backed up Exxon saying their product was fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No, They had a lab sign a Certficate of Compliance saying they meet it for a small sample - doesnt say ANYTHING about the vast gallonage of flotsam blended prior and hence out in the market (and your sump). API comment about Ashland is telling, ' ...In this exclusive Mens Club, how dare Rodney come in and make a mockery of the nice little thang we got goin here!' I guarantee that some sample(s) of M1 5w-30 SM GF-4 did not pass the seq IVA, as Ashland (and others) have certified independant labs test and the non-conformance notes with affidavit to prove it. Somwhat mooot as I would again (almost) guarantee that the M1 5w-30 you buy today and what you bought last year passed seq. IVA. You have Honda ILSAC approval and HT06 to thank for that guarantee.

If it were not so M1 would have nailed them in court. Don't say they would not have.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

That may very well be true.

I'm behind ashland on this one. No doubt a sample of M1 didn't pass the test, or as Mokanic stated they would have sued the pants off Ashland, which never happened. They just whistled away, fixed the formulation, and got away with one without having to say a word.

I imagine there are/were batches of Synpower that didn't meet it, or another spec it is listed to meet. QC is not perfect for any oil manufacturer or blender. I'm sure every oil company has had a batch or batches that aren't what they are supposed to be.

Mobil was picked on because they are the biggest name in synthetic oil. Ashland only wishes they had Mobil's market share.

I wouldn't say that. Ashland certifies engine oils or has the ability too. Mobil screwed up somewhere.

Hi,
buster - While in Germany over the last few years I have taken the issue of FF lubricant quality variability up

It is evident that the supply VOAs undertaken on product delivery do show "non-conformance" - to use a QA term

These supplies are rejected at the gate! At least one Manufacturer has a large number of lubricant suppliers. One or two suppliers stand out as somewhat regular non-conformers. I won't name the Companies except to say that they are often touted on here as being at the "top of the tree"!!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
buster - They supply FF lubricants - Oil Companies both large and small and you may call some Blenders

What is this,"What's My Line"?

The additive companies play such a vital role in formulating a good oil. Some hold the opinion that the additive companies know more than the oil companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back