Pro Mix 2 cycle oil: 1 size fits all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many 2 cycle engines from weed whackers, chain saws, blowers ect. I found this oil you mix in the gas and it is supposed to be safe and good for any and all 2 cycle engines. 50:1, 40:1, 32:1 16:1 ect. Anyone know about this stuff and is it really good stuff or not. I'd like to use it as it would make mixing fuel really easy and eliminate waste as I won't have tons of extra fuel mixed up. Thanks!

P.S.
My local OPE dealer told me they have been using it for many years with no problems and only had good things to say about it.

You are best served to use oils meeting ISO-L-EGD and JASO FD ratings. Cheap product delivers cheap results.

Oils meeting these two ratings can be found at Home Depot and Lowe's and certainly at other venues. Stihl and Echo both carry oils that meet these standards.

The mix ratio seems to be overrated in my opinion. If you mix oils at either 32:1 or 50:1 you're varying the mixture by a mere 1.44 ounces diluted in 128 ounces. It's hardly a measureable amount. A 32:1 will use 4 ounces per gallon and 50:1 will use 2.56 ounces. At these ratios a certified JASO and ISO lubricant will not carbon or gum the engine or exhaust ports to any measureable degree. I personally use the 32:1 mix ratio and my plug and exhaust port is actually cleaner than the ones in my 4-cycle engines.

I have used Stihl and Echo oils with good results. I currently use Castrol Power RS TTS which I buy at my local motorcycle shop. It costs less than the Stihl and Echo products and it's performance is excellent.

I personally don't recommend cheap no-name 2-cycle oils that carry no performance ratings. Pro-Mix falls into that category unfortunately.

I googled Pro Mix ratings and can't find anything on what Pro Mix meets.

What is the worst it could do?

I would recommend the Echo PowerBlend X. FD certified, not real expensive (can be found at H.D.). Some good deals can also be found on FleaBay too.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back