2008 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Rotella T6 5w40 be good oil to run in my 08 silverado with the 5.3L motor?
It has 18000 miles on it?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: BRO1
Would Rotella T6 5w40 be good oil to run in my 08 silverado with the 5.3L motor?
Thanks

Should work fine in Tennessee. Not sure that I'd try it in Minnesota in the winter, but with your mild TN winters, go for it.

Thanks

Isn't that a little thick for your OEM specs?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Thanks

Isn't that a little thick for your OEM specs?

That is what worried about it being to thick,but I do a lot of towing with it also that is also why i'm asking.
Thanks

Nah, run it. Not like those motors have changed much since... well, ever... and people have been running everything from 0w-30 to 15w-40 in them.

Don't run the 5W-40 if you are concerned about your warranty...GM wants you to use ONLY 5W-30 in this engine.

If yo really don't care, then run it - RT6 is a great oil.

Stick with the 5W/30 or go to 10W/30. Go sythetic if you want the extra margin of safety. I think the thicker 5/40 would create slightly more drag and heat and that's not what you want. You want all the power. Not saying you'd ever notice this or that it's bad - I just know that the factory has spec'd 5W/30 based on several requirements of which holding up to high heat and towing is one of them. I run Mobil 1 5W/30 in my Sierra 6.0L and I'm happy. If I am towing a lot in the summer, I'll use the 10W/30 version but doubt there's any great benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back