Wrench or Ratchet For Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a ratchet and socket. I'm already down there with the 3/8" ratchet because I use the oil filter socket tool for the oil filter also. I don't torque anything, tighten by feel. The oil filter goes on exactly 3/4 turns after gasket contact.

To me, it'd be just as easy to over-torque with a wrench as it would be with a ratchet. I snug the drain bolt with the ratchet, give it another small push, and it's done.

Now that I've got Fumoto valves I use neither, but before that I used a box wrench or a Gear Wrench, which gives you the best of both worlds--ratcheting and better feel. Still use the Gear Wrench on my motorcycle drain plug.

Without knowing why, I have always used a closed-end wrench for this purpose and that is what seems correct to me. While it is hard to make a strong argument against a socket, you are looking for that drain plug to stay unstripped through maybe 50 loosen/unloosen cycles over the life of a car. To my way of thinking, the more precise tool makes that more likely.

I use a 3/8 rachet with a 6 point socket. The 6 point will protect the hex head better from rounding off.

As long as you don't use gorilla force, a socket, open end wrench, or a box wrench will do the job. It's only a drain plug, we aren't torqueing down head bolts on a diesel engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As long as you don't use gorilla force, a socket, open end wrench, or a box wrench will do the job. It's only a drain plug, we aren't torqueing down head bolts on a diesel engine.

Agreed. I usually use a ratchet, but whatever works
smile.gif

I don't really care what I use. I use wrenches a lot to loosen or tighten bolts and ratchets to actually unscrew the bolt if it's long or in an awkward place where you have to flip the wrench every time in order to turn the bolt.

I guess wrenches are more "idiot proof" since they will have an appropriate length for the bolt size, where with ratchets, an adapter can be used to have a 1/2” ratchet be used on 1/4” bolt head.

Not sure about everyone else, but on the OCs I'm usually performing I don't put a whole lot of thought into it. I often use a ratchet but it's really only to break or set the torque. The plug twirls in the threads beyond that - not sure why people are using ratchets all the way out and getting oil in their ratchet head... Different cars work different ways I guess.

I have an appropriate size ratcheting combo wrench I could use, but one of the cars has the plug straight in the bottom of the pan and a wrench is actually harder to work with than a socket despite the shear/twist aspect.

Like Colt said, I use ratchet and torque wrench. I get torque specs from Service Manual, manual or Dealership and torque drain bolt accordingly.

My 05 QR25DE is 22-29 foot lbs, Nissan manual says not to use excessive force, when I torque the drain bolt I finger tighten to ensure no cross threading, then I use ratchet to snug it, then I torque the drain bolt with a smooth slow and steady increasing torque until the needle hits 30 ft lbs. Torque steady and smoothly for accurate torque result. When the next OC comes the drain bolt looses easily with a ratchet.

Here is a tip, I change oil in 4 different vehicles with different drain bolt torque specs. With out a hoist I cannot jack up car very high and thus the torque wrench on tighten turn will not face me properly with numbers shown, I cant see the numbers, only the back plate. I drill a small hole at the at the different torue setting for each vhehicle and boldly mark on backside which vehicle each hole applies. I can then clearly see the red needle through center of hole for torque spec. I prefer this method becuase usually the lighting is not good under car and my eyes are not what they used to be in reading fine lines and numbers etc.

Cyprs

I think all that matters is that you use common sense. Whatever you use, don't bear down on it to the point of ridiculousness and you should have no problems.

I will never use a ratchet to loosen/tighten a drain plug again.

I ruined my dad's decade old ratchet set that way. I was trying to loosen the (overtightened) drain plug and no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't loosen. Then, as I'm hammering at the ratchet to loosen it, I notice the ratchet moves in the direction I don't want it to... I broke the ratchet.

Long story short, couldn't get it loose even with my brother and dad trying to hammer it loose with the closed end of a combination wrench, and said "screw it" and got the oil changed in an auto tune-up shop. They used the wrong oil and oil filter.
Then I did the oil change myself since drain plug was already fine.

So the closed-end of a combination wrench is what I feel is the best option.

I always us a WRENCH. Depending on the room available to swing the WRENCH, I might use a combination end WRENCH or a ratchet WRENCH to loosen the plug. I often put the plug back in with my fingers and correctly tighten it with a torque WRENCH.

The original poster's premise was wrong--not about the tool for the job but about the fool doing the job. Any bozo can screw up any job with any tool. It isn't the wand, it's the magician....

Originally Posted By: AWDfreak

I ruined my dad's decade old ratchet set that way. I was trying to loosen the (overtightened) drain plug and no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't loosen. Then, as I'm hammering at the ratchet to loosen it, I notice the ratchet moves in the direction I don't want it to... I broke the ratchet.

Those aren't reasons not to use ratchets on drain plugs. I think there are different, but related, takeaways from that experience:

1/ Don't overtighten anything, drain plugs especially

2/ Don't hammer on ratchets, regardless of what kind of fastener you're loosening.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: AWDfreak

Those aren't reasons not to use ratchets on drain plugs. I think there are different, but related, takeaways from that experience:

1/ Don't overtighten anything, drain plugs especially

2/ Don't hammer on ratchets, regardless of what kind of fastener you're loosening.

smile.gif

+1 You could have been trying to loosen any bolt, not just the drain plug - the problem was the hammering.

I have a Fumoto valve now, but prior to installing it, I used a torque wrench for install and a ratchet for removal.

I never had a problem with oil all over the ratchet, as it was only used to break the drain bolt free and then it was removed by hand. I did have problems with oil all over my hand though..lol..hence the fancy Fumoto valve now installed.

Never hammer on a wrench or ratchet, it only asks for trouble. Get a breaker bar or an extension pipe.

The only thing that you can hammer, lightly tap actually, is the bolt while someone is trying to turn the wrench, it helps sometimes and is only meant for certain situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back