Which 4 cyl engines have timing chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: quint
My Nissan 2.4 has double-row chains and has been noisy since I got it at 75k miles. Its pushing over 200k now and its just as noisy, but still going strong. I have heard of people proactively replacing them, but never actually heard of one breaking.

My dads 1997 Corolla with the 1.6l has the original belt on it still, and the odo currently sits at 298,000 miles. Thats got to be a record. (Its getting replaced this weekend when I replace the cracked radiator.)

I replaced the belt in my 4.7l Sequoia and at 96k miles it still looked brand new. The bearings in the tensioner however, were very worn and it had a lot of play in it.

I would be weary of replacing an original timing belt at 298k for your dad's car. I believe that engine is an interference engine. If the replacement timing belt snaps in a year or two years, you may get the wrath.

I hear you, and agree 100% !

My plan was to inspect it first, and if it looks bad to change it without telling him...

(Ps...The Toyota forums I searched all came back with it being a non-interference engine.)

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I would be weary of replacing an original timing belt at 298k for your dad's car. I believe that engine is an interference engine. If the replacement timing belt snaps in a year or two years, you may get the wrath.

The same could be said of the original timing belt, the one with 300k miles on it. I'd trust the engine to a new timing belt over a 300k-mile-old timing belt every time.
wink.gif

Circa 1920 Ford prototype shaft drive cammer. An interesting idea.

[img:center]
5238e3b5.jpg
[/img]

The this Early 60's Pontiac 389 DOHC prototype chain monster.

[img:center]
7a4ce4be.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how many cars come with chains now. I just assumed that most of them were still belts.

I wonder if it has to do with the variable timing systems?

The only timing chain problem i ever had was a chain between the two cams on a timing belt engine due to a tensioner failure. At 60k and 4 years old.

My work day means 2 or a little more hours each day driving, about 90% highway. I drive a RAV 4, although it's small, it's a small SUV and the fuel economy is satisfactory to me. Although mine has the belt, I had it changed @ 80k. I think they went to chain in 01.
The RAV is the only vehicle I have not had a single issue, and I'm getting the 120k service tomorrow.
I been so used to nothing but full size 4wd trucks all my life, but finally looked at fuel economy and a small SUV it became.
I did buy a Camry but didn't feel right driving it, so I have my son driving it after I tried it a couple months.
Some day I'll probably replace it with a new RAV.

I had a project CRX I restored. Drove it less than a month then sold it. To small for me. I did replace it's belt back then - It was an interference engine. My current RAV is non-interference.
My belt is 80k or 8 years, whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back