Pics after a few MMO cycles in a Saturn 1.9L DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: morris
to:tpitcher your sludge may be cause the crankcase ventilation system needs a new valve. happened to me, on a dodge v-8, the oil filler cap had moisture on it, then i changed the pcv valve, and it stoped.

I bought the car with 109k, now 140k. Put a new PCV in it (the old one was "ok"), then again 5k ago.

This oil is still soooooo dark just after 2-2.5k. 3k is pitch black. 1st car in 35 years with this issue!

Hard to make a call here.

You used very good oils with the MMO so those may have helped a great deal also.

But nice pics.

**Aren't those old Saturn engines oil burners and have alot of blow by?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

Yup and yup.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Now that the valve cover are off, you might as well do a piston soak, and see if it helps with oil consumption....

What does valve cover removal have to do with a piston soak?
smile.gif
You simply pour the MMO into the spark plug hole, which doesn't require you remove anything other than the spark plug.

Best,

As in "if you went that far in cleaning, might as well go an extra mile". Sorry I was not clearer.

Last edited:
Now that the valve cover are off, you might as well do a piston soak, and see if it helps with oil consumption....

smile.gif
You simply pour the MMO into the spark plug hole, which doesn't require you remove anything other than the spark plug.

Best,

As in "if you went that far in cleaning, might as well go an extra mile". Sorry I was not clearer.

Ahh. I might try it next time I change my oil. To be honest, I don't think I went "that far." Using the MMO was rather painless. It was far more of a pain in the rump to change the valve cover gasket and even that wasn't a huge deal. When I see the litany of "don't do this and you must do that" gotchas with other products, I think I got off pretty easy.

Best,

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Yup and yup.
smile.gif

+1, but with proper care they will run forever!

smile.gif

Best,

+1

Piston Soak:

1) Remove EACH Spark Plug.
2) Put in "2 ounces" either a. MMO, b. SEAFOAM
thumbsup2.gif
c. Engine Oil (?)
3. Let sit "24 hours"
4. Turn engine for ~15 seconds wi Plugs out, to get it out of there.
5) Replace plugs.
6) Start/run.
7) Replace Oil.

Question: Isnt it better to use SEAFOAM than MMO for a Piston Soak?

I once did a One hour Piston Soak on a hot engine. Made it one hour because i was scared of possible damage/alteration to Piston Rings. used SeaFoam. Slight/placebo improvement in that short a time.. created Vacuum leak and i had to tighten down on e plug, as i saw bubbling at the boot.. it wasnt tight enough.

Comments on SeaFoam vs MMO for Soak? And is this the right way?

And yeah.. what does VC have to do with the Soak? This is "maintenance/clean" Piston Soak, not "It might be seized lets try to un-seize it" Piston Soak!

And any BAD can come of it?

For the English-comprehension challenged, I will repeat myself:

For the English-comprehension challenged, I will repeat myself:

For the manners-challenged, you'll note that I said I'd get around to the soak later.

Best,

It was NOT directed at you, FM, my profuse apologies. It was for the "HangerHarley" right above me, who obviously skipped most of the thread. I tried to multi-quote him, but could not figure it out.

Again, not directed at you all.

Quick question for you guys familar with the MMO Piston Soak method. Is this something I could do during an overnight oil drain? Just add in a couple of steps and get two jobs done in one painfully long amount of waiting time?

Quote:

1. Remove all plugs
2. Put in 2oz MMO
3. Drain engine oil
4. Remove and drain engine oil filter
5. Install new oil filter loose to cover the hole
6. Let sit 24 (in my case about 16) hours
7. Reinstall oil drain plug
8. Remove filter, add 1/2qt oil, reinstall for good
9. Fill crankcase to spec and reinstall 710 cap
10. Crank for ~15 sec w/plugs out, to clear combustion chambers
11. Gap new plugs and install to torque spec
12. Start/run/check oil pressure/check for leaks

I just put fresh in so a little MMO in the oil isn't a bad thing, right? All the garbage getting past the rings should have drained into the oil pan and out the drain plug by then, right?

Originally Posted By: occupant
Quick question for you guys familar with the MMO Piston Soak method. Is this something I could do during an overnight oil drain? Just add in a couple of steps and get two jobs done in one painfully long amount of waiting time?

Quote:

1. Remove all plugs
2. Put in 2oz MMO
3. Drain engine oil
4. Remove and drain engine oil filter
5. Install new oil filter loose to cover the hole
6. Let sit 24 (in my case about 16) hours
7. Reinstall oil drain plug
8. Remove filter, add 1/2qt oil, reinstall for good
9. Fill crankcase to spec and reinstall 710 cap
10. Crank for ~15 sec w/plugs out, to clear combustion chambers
11. Gap new plugs and install to torque spec
12. Start/run/check oil pressure/check for leaks

I just put fresh in so a little MMO in the oil isn't a bad thing, right? All the garbage getting past the rings should have drained into the oil pan and out the drain plug by then, right?

You can do an overnight piston soak, but a longer period of time is better IMO. You want to fill up the cylinders, let is soak for several hours, turn the engine by hand, fill again, and repeat a few times. 24-48 hours IMO is better.

It was NOT directed at you, FM, my profuse apologies. It was for the "HangerHarley" right above me, who obviously skipped most of the thread. I tried to multi-quote him, but could not figure it out.

Again, not directed at you all.

You never did say if SeaFoam was better.

Which is better?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You can do an overnight piston soak, but a longer period of time is better IMO. You want to fill up the cylinders, let is soak for several hours, turn the engine by hand, fill again, and repeat a few times. 24-48 hours IMO is better.

So this is a process that you repeat every few hours for a 24-hour period, or do you let it soak for 24 hours, then turn the engine over and refill, then soak again for 24 hours, and repeat all week long or something? I'm not freeing a stuck engine here, just trying to remove a huge amount of sludge and carbon. My Torino, if you goose it in neutral, leaves a giant black spot on the ground under the tailpipe. I figure it needs broken up somehow. Thought this would do that pretty good. Willing to take a week to do it if need be, too. But it sounds kind of excessive, I don't know!

Originally Posted By: panthermike
As far as I know, you just let it sit for 24 hours one time.

+1

You just put the MMO/SeaFoam in, about 2 ounces each cylinder, and then you can turn the key w the spark plugs out and it will shoot out so you dont lock anything. i turned mine for about 15 seconds.

I also heard SeaFoam was better than MMO for this. UJ the J.A. never told me.

I commented on Piston Soak, not his Saturn, as Piston Soak is the same for all. i guess he got offended.
21.gif

So again.. SeaFoam or MMO for a soak? (24 hrs is good length of time. COLD engine too. My "Hot" 1-hr. soak likely did nothing, and i shouldnt have done it due to hot engine. I was fine.. but i wont repeat it.)

Originally Posted By: occupant
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

So this is a process that you repeat every few hours for a 24-hour period, or do you let it soak for 24 hours, then turn the engine over and refill, then soak again for 24 hours, and repeat all week long or something? I'm not freeing a stuck engine here, just trying to remove a huge amount of sludge and carbon. My Torino, if you goose it in neutral, leaves a giant black spot on the ground under the tailpipe. I figure it needs broken up somehow. Thought this would do that pretty good. Willing to take a week to do it if need be, too. But it sounds kind of excessive, I don't know!

You do it to a cold engine, during the 24 hour period go out a few times turn the engine over by hand, use a breaker bar and socket and turn the damper pulley. Refill the cylinders and repeat a few times. You want to move the stuff around in the cylinders and let it soak in with the pistons at diffent positions.

If you read what I said, 24-48 hours not a week, 1-2 days. The longer the soak the better, if you have 3 days do it over a 3 day period.

Hanger, as far as which one would work better(MMO/Seafoam), I have no experience in this area. I believe Seafoam contains more solvents, so it should be more "aggressive". OTOH, I recall a member(forget name) who said a MMO piston soak stopped the oil consumption that he had.

Hanger, as far as which one would work better(MMO/Seafoam), I have no experience in this area. I believe Seafoam contains more solvents, so it should be more "aggressive". OTOH, I recall a member(forget name) who said a MMO piston soak stopped the oil consumption that he had.

could that dude have been me?

i did it on our accord and it nearly solved the problem compeltely.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17

could that dude have been me?

i did it on our accord and it nearly solved the problem compeltely.

Yes
grin.gif
. Knew I wasn't going crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back