Walmart Goodyear Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a little rain last night and I gave the tire a little bit of testing and they seem to do really well.I drive a two wheel drive truck and the tires seemed to grip pretty good on the wet road.

I was in town when driving but they seem to be very good.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

The rest of the codes are a little obscure. They showed "M6HL FNWR". Tire plant codes are in two character format.

These codes are NOT obscure, but you have to know how to read them:

The first 2 digits are a code for the manufacturing plant. In this case, M6 = Goodyear's Lawton plant.

The next 2 digits are a code for the tire size. In this case, HL = 235/75R15 following RMA's coding structure.

There are other coding structures - some standardized, some not. However, if asked by NHTSA, the tire manufacturer has to demonstrate there is a structure. Needless to say, many tire manufacturers use the RMA structure.

The next 3 or 4 digits are a code for the type of tire. In this case, FNWR = a particular version of Goodyear Wrangler, but the only ones who would be able to decipher that is Goodyear, but they could tell you quite a bit about the tire if they wanted to.

The last 3 or 4 digits are the date code. The format is week/week/year/year or week/week/year. These are always numbers.

Starting in the year 2000, the date coding used was 4 digits. That means the largest number you should see for the year is 09. Before 1999 the format was 3 digits. 1999 and 2000 are transition years, so you will find both 3 and 4 digits.

The date code only has to be on one side – and it is permissible for there to be a partial DOT code, so long as one side has the complete code.

And Bert got it exactly right: 0209 means the 2nd week of 2009.

Hope this helps.

So the first/last 4 codes on a tire's DOT are assigned by RMA/DOT and the middle 4 are maker specific?

So B9VM CPAX 1606 means:
B9 - Michelin's Lexington, SC plant
VM - 215/55R16
then CPAX means it's some Michelin model, but I do notice Michelin always has an X in the 8th digit and 1606 means the tire is made in the 16th week of 2006?

Originally Posted By: nthach
So the first/last 4 codes on a tire's DOT are assigned by RMA/DOT and the middle 4 are maker specific?........

Not exactly - and I'll explain later.

....So B9VM CPAX 1606 means:
B9 - Michelin's Lexington, SC plant........

Yup!

....VM - 215/55R16.......

Only if Michelin is following the RMA size coding structure - which they do NOT have to do.

....then CPAX means it's some Michelin model, but I do notice Michelin always has an X in the 8th digit and 1606 means the tire is made in the 16th week of 2006?

Yes. So except for that one little point, you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back