CONTINENTAL ProContact EcoPlus tires ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
get very good results across the board ( traction , etc. ) with CONSUMER REPORTS . May get these next spring for the YARIS . They are less than $90 each , $75 for th YARIS ( 185/60-15 ) . Seeing good reviews at tire sites .

Last edited:
It isn't a sleeper tire, it is fairly new tire just introduced few months ago, that why very few owner reviews on Tirerack.

It seems to be a good all season tire with good fuel economy for a reasonable price. Continental tires are OEM on many European cars.

Wonder what they're like in snow...not enough reviews to draw any conclusions. Continental seems to be all over the place with it's tire line...some real winners (DWS Extreme Contact and Extreme Winter Contact) and some real stinkers (like most of the other tire manufacturers). Problem is figuring out which are the good ones.

TIRE SIZE TESTED : Believe tire size is / was : 225/40R18 w/ 92W speed rating

RATINGS ARE :

Dry Braking : Very Good ( @ 60 m.p.h. )

Wet Braking : Very Good ( @ 40 m.p.h.)

Handling : Good ( dry: avoidance on dry skid pad , wet : includes cornering on wet skid pad and handling on their wet track )

Hydroplaning: Very Good ( based on how quickly they could drive through standing water before tires began to skim on the surface )

Snow Traction : Good ( reflects the distance the test car needed to accelerate from 5 m.p.h. > 20 m.p.h. on moderately packed snow )

Ice Braking : Very Good ( braking on skating rink at 10 m.p.h. )

Ride Comfort: Good ( indviduals experience )

Noise : Good ( individuals experience )

Rolling Resistance : Excellent

Tread Life : Good ( based on 12,000 miles of mixed driving )

Overall Score : 82 ( highest )

As for snow , ice breaking , and wet braking would think that was helped by the test vehicle(s) equipped with A.B.S. , Traction Control , and Vehilce Stability Control . C.R.highly suggests those features when purchasing a new / used vehicle . So test car(s) most likely equipped with A.B.S., T.C. , and V.S.C.. So those w/o those safety features likely to have different results . These are NON - DIRECTIONAL designed tire .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Continental seems to be all over the place with it's tire line...some real winners and some real stinkers. Problem is figuring out which are the good ones.

Yes, that's why I call them a "sleeper" tire. A sleeper is something of value from an unassuming source. Continental's all season passenger tire line up has traditionally been very poor, but their newest generation of the ProContact and ProContact with EcoPlus tires have turned that around, at least for now.

I would stay away from the Pro Contacts. They came oem on my 07 Altima. The tread design collects every pebble on the road. This makes a loud tire, even louder. I didn't care for their traction in the rain up here in Portland either.

It looks like Continental won the oem contract a couple years ago. I see them on most new cars these days.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I would stay away from the Pro Contacts. They came oem on my 07 Altima. The tread design collects every pebble on the road. This makes a loud tire, even louder. I didn't care for their traction in the rain up here in Portland either.

It looks like Continental won the oem contract a couple years ago. I see them on most new cars these days.

these are a new model. werent around in 07

I see a consistent pattern in recently designed Continental all-season tires: they have very good wet handling and hydroplaning resistance. General Tire is the American subsidiary of Continental. Go to TireRack and check out the wet weather performance (in both tire tests and tire surveys) of:

General Altimax RT
General Altimax HP
Continental ProContact EcoPlus
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Continental ContiProContact

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a real standout in terms of wet weather and snow/ice performance. See

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=119

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back